Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's not like most people don't know who I am already

The High Court in London has ruled that bloggers have no right to privacy under British law since blogging is essentially a public rather than a private activity. The case was brought by The Times newspaper after it discovered the identity of a blogger in the police service who wrote the popular NightJack web page, which was awarded the Orwell Prize for political writing in April. Apparently it is now worried that thousands of bloggers will abandon their blogs as their anonymity is no longer preserved. This might both me if I didn't already know that most of my regular readers know who I am anyway as I either gave them the link or they found it on facebook so it's not like I'm trying to keep that secret

In another case of people taking things far too seriously an advert for Diet Coke staring Duffy has escaped censure after it recieved several complaints, not about the fact that the singer ducks out of a concert, not that she sings whilst riding with such intensity it's unlikely she could have kept it straight or even the fact that she rides through a supermarket scaring the heck out of shoppers. Nope the complaints were on health and safety grounds that when she was riding through the streets she didn't have a light on reflective clothing ( she obivously didn't need it when she was inside the supermarket as it has lights). The Advertising agency rejected the complaints on the equally bizare ground that the sequins on her dress could be counted as reflective clothing.

There was a charity book sale at work today and I took the very hard decision ( well hard for me) to have a quite significant clear out of my books shelves. Now in this case significant is a relative term as it didn't make my difference but I still managed to fill two large boxes and one large bag with books and needed the trolley at the other end to get them into the office. Mind you a majority of my books were left at the end of the day showing that maybe my taste in books isn't so great. But rather then bringing them home again they will be going to a local charity shop. So I have a touch more room on the shelves but knowing me it won't be long till I fill the space again.

and probably get a urge to read the books again I've just got rid of :-)

Institute was good tonight and it was officially the end of a era as when Instutite starts again in September it will no longer be at Leicester, it will be held at the Loughborough chapel. Which will make getting to insitute faster, easier and cheaper! Three points I always like to hear in the same sentence.

I've two days left before the start of my secondment next week. I've almost got everything cleared so I've only got a couple of items to finish plus my yearly appraisal tomorrow and then I'll be ready. I've got that really excited/nervous that you get before starting a new thing, feeling about the secondment. I have a feeling it's going to be a really interesting six weeks.

But before that I've got the shopping to do, another nephews baptism and the seminary graduation to speak at on Sunday to welcome the new graduates to institute. I'm not sure what I'm going to say. I suppose I could always try and give my remarks by the medium of interpretive dance. I'm not sure Bro H would improve but I'm sure they would remember it.

No?

Oh okay then, I'll just wait for inspiration to strike.

Later folks!

No comments: