Monday, March 03, 2008

Dooo yooouuu sppeeaakkk eenngggaaaalllisshhh?

Well Drat made a very good comment on yesterdays post that in the middle of the ramblings that people can understand I use a awful lot of words and terms that people outside of the Church don’t know and will probably wonder if they are actual terms or if I’ve just slipped into techno speak after overdosing on one too many sci-fi books that afternoon. So here is a brief run down of all of those pesky odd terms I use on a regular basis.

YSA= This stands for Young Single Adults. Basically everybody who is in the ward who is aged between 18 to 30 and is not married ( see that’s where the single bit comes in ) falls into this ‘program’. Of course depending on who you ask YSA can mean other things such as Your Still annoying and You still ain’t married?

SA= Stands for single adults. If you reach 31 and aren’t married you move into this group. Which is for singletons aged 31+. So from what I understand the activities can be a bit varied as the attendees are usually anywhere from 31 to 60! As some of you may have gathered I really do not want to end up attending these activities.

Ward= according to Wilkipedia and if it’s on there it must be true, the official definition of a ward is “A ward typically consists of 200 to 500 active church members within an area that is within a reasonable travel time of the meetinghouse. ("Reasonable" will vary between countries and regions.)”

Home teaching = ( quoted direct from the LDS website
”Home teaching is the responsibility of all Melchizedek Priesthood holders and of those who are teachers and priests in the Aaronic Priesthood. As part of their responsibility to watch over the members of the Church, home teachers visit their assigned families at least once each month to teach and strengthen them. Home teachers establish a relationship of trust with these families so that the families can call upon them in times of need.”
So as you can see this is something I am supposed to be doing. Due to the Elders quorum president not giving me a list, I can’t. Stay tuned to this one folks, I’m sure the saga will continue.

Institute= is apparently officially described as a "weekday religious instruction for singled and married postsecondary students." Institutes of Religion are professionally directed by the Church Educational System, the same department responsible for the seminary program and Brigham Young University. In practical terms it’s attended by most YSA.

Okay so there’s a few definitions. I hope that’s made a couple of things clearer. If there’s any others terms you need explaining let me know.

Later!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one. that makes it a lot more understandable. I guess you do use lots of code words and stuff in your blog so its good for outsiders to know.

So am I right in thinking that YSA and SA is half way between a religious workshop/activity thing and a sort of singles dating thing? Eg throw all the single guys and girls together in the hope that they will get married? or am i oversimplyfying things a bit.

Unknown said...

Maybe you should add a list of terms on your blog roll?

All of these terms sound as crazy as your make-believe names for everyone! :)

You are so smart - I couldn't even go anonymous like you do, there is no way I could keep up with everyone's names.

Saxon said...

officially you are oversimplfying it Drat.

Unofficially your probably spot on with that description :-)

I'm glad things are a litte clearer for you.

Saxon said...

I'll try and sort that out Alice. Thats a good suggestion.

Smart hmm? Yes I am so smart, I am so smart, smrt I mean smart :-)

Joking asides I started using names after a suggestion by Nemesis. it's kind of a " Names have been changed to protect the guilty" kinda of thing :-)

Anonymous said...

hee hee. well i guess the only thing i know about it is from your blog so I guess you like the "unofficial" version! : - )

nice one.

I looked up some of the terms on wikipedia and it made a bit more sense to me now so thats good.

Saxon said...

glad things are a bit clearer for you anonymous