Tuesday, September 08, 2009

So Bad it's good?

Making films is like any creative process. You get brilliant end results like Lord of the Rings, you get okay(ish) results ( i.e. your typical summer blockbuster) and some truly dire results like the scary movies or Battlefield earth ( one of the few instances where the film is worse then the book which considering the book is quite some achievement).

But then you get those rare of rare breeds. The film which is so bad it’s good, usually not in the way intended. In most cases the said film turns into a hilarious comedy due to the sheer bad acting, bad plot and bad effects. I’ve seen the trailer for one forthcoming film that might well fall into this category. Yes from the studio that bought you “ Transmorphers” comes Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus! Highlights from the trailer include the Shark destroying a sub by biting it, destroying a boat by biting it, then attacking the golden gate bridge by yes you’ve guessed it. Biting it! But the highlight of the trailer for sheer “ What the heck?” is the moment when the mega shark leaps out of the ocean and is able to leap high enough to bite and eat a airline in mid air!

But then again this is a film where the leading ladies claim to fame is that she used to be a singer/songwriter in the 1980s. Apparently when asked she was quite keen to do a sequel and she was thinking that they could face a seahorse or 500ft lobster! Either she was joking or she was probably hired for her looks rather then acting talent as the title “ Giant seahorse versus 150ft lobster doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.”

Although maybe I shouldn’t caste stones where acting ability is concerned as I think the last serious acting I did was in High school and the last thing I did even approaching acting was at a Friday forum back when I was in uni when I had to pretend to be the policeman from allo allo. Who I’m sad to say probably has a better grasp of French then I do!

Yes being good at languages is a talent that is certainly missing from my talent pool. As the old joke says “ It’s good I was born in England as I can only speak English”.

They’ve been harvesting the crops in the fields that surround our estate which has delighted Owen no end as it means he can now get up to his top speed running all over the place whilst out on his walks. Although apparently he did sulk on the first day when they cleared the fields as Grumpy forgot to take the Frisbee with him. He doesn’t play with a Frisbee for months and can remember it clear as day, but try and train him and he can’t remember a command he learned five minutes ago.

Random news from Google analytics today, my viewing figures for this blog are up 150% in the last 12 months on the preceding 12 months, and viewing figures for the past 30 days are up 39%. So Hello to my silent majority of readership. See I know you’re out there, Google Analytics tells me so.

I’ve found a outlet for my creative urges as well. Now I’ll admit it’s not as creative as I was hoping for but I’m still feeling quite pleased with it. It basically involves turning some Wall E’s into K Kans. I’ll put some pictures up and explain tomorrow for anyone who doesn’t have a clue what I could be talking about right now. And to be honest only Engineseer is likely to have a clue about what I’m talking about right now.

Book wise I’m currently reading Children of England: The Heirs of King Henry VIII 1547-1558 by Alison Weir who is rapidly turning into my one of my top three favourite historians. The other two are Stephen Ambrose and Anthony Beever, in case anyone was wondering.
anyway,

Later folks!

No comments: