Saturday, January 31, 2009

Well I guess they have nothing better to spend it on

Scientists in switzerland have just revealed a new robot they've invented which has the ability to 'sweat' so it can test clothes. Of course why they decided to spent all this money on inventing a robot rather then just saving it a hiring a actual person to test the clothes I have no idea. Maybe they decided they had too much money lying around :-)

Despite all the warnings in the news the big 'cold snap' hasn't yet hit. Although to be fair it apparently is supposed to be really starting until tomorrow afternoon. Still I think theres a good chance knowing our luck that the weather null zone will do it's usual bang up job of giving us different weather to everywhere else in the UK. If it doesn't and it is snowy and icy all week I won't mind as I am off work after all and I shouldn't have to venture out into the big wide world as it were.

Shopping involved the usual fun and games this morning of trying to get through the crowds as there were lots of people in town. Probably all happy that it was finally pay day and January is about to end. Which is a scary thought in a way as it means that we're already one month into 2009.

I did pop into waterstones ( thats bookshop for anyone who doesn't know) to have a look to see if I could find a new book to read. In a change to the norm I am considering trying a book out side my usual selection of either Sci-fi, Fantasy or a History book. This was mainly prompted by me catching a bit of a film version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde last night which made me realise that dispite being what most people could call exceptionally well rid I haven't really read any 'classics'. Books like Jekyll and Hyde, Dracula or Frankenstein, although I have seen umpteen film versions of each. Okay I know all of the books I've listed there are what you could call fantasy but I think they could be referred to as 'classics'. I have read some shakespeare although not seen college and my GCSE's. We had to read Hamlet which was interesting in a sense of I'm glad this thing isn't anymore complicated or I might not understand anything of whats going on.

So if anybody has any suggestions for a 'classic' I could try please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Demons was on again tonight and once again it was merely adequate. I think if it wasn't meant to be a 'family style show' along the lines of Doctor who and so could be a bit 'darker' it might have a chance to evolve into something really interesting as it has a lot of potential which looks likley never to be tapped as the shows ratings keep plunging. Still it's the last episode next week and I guess we'll see what it's eventual fate will be. On the plus side that does mean that Primeval will be back soon which had improved greatly by the end of it's last season.

anyway,

Later folks!

2 comments:

Scully said...

While not a classic, I think you would enjoy the Thursday Next series if you haven't read them. You have to be fairly well read to enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

frankenstien is a classic for sure... but its THE most depressing read ever! Its not so much scary as "heavy hearted" so dont expect it to be feel-good!

have plenty of chocolate at the ready for that one.