Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I wish it would make up it's mind

Despite the weather seeming to have decided that it was going to get milder, it abruptly changed it's mind this morning with a vengence when it got so icey overnight it took me nearly fifteen minutes of scraping to clear the car of ice to a point where the de-icer would work!

There was also a lot of fog about which did lead to the electiricity pylons looking like something out of the way of the worlds as all you could see was the tops of the pylons looking out of the fog. You couldn't see the power cables or anything. Okay well I guess you had to be there to get the true oddity of how they looked. I probably only noticed as I got stuck in a huge traffic jam and basically moved nowhere for ten minutes so my mind had started to wonder a bit. Well that or I didn't have the heater on high enough to stop my brain from freezing :-)

Work was good if again rather busy which seems to have become the theme for the week. I also had my six month review which went very well so I was quite happy by the end of the day.

Institute was interesting even if it started late as there was nobody with a key to let us into the stake centre. Heck we couldn't even get into the car park. Fortunately somebody turned up who did have a key so we could get into the building. We had a substitute teacher again as Bro H was off somewhere. We also had a new class member, an American girl who has just moved over here with her family. She has been struggling a bit with the cold over here which I can well understand as it must have been a shock to come from Califonia to a English winter.

I couldn't help but admire the fact that someone in the protesters againist the third runway at heathrow finally came up with a good idea to stop the runway which was genius in it's simplicity. Instead of mounting protests or trying to block the runway and thus delayed people and getting them angry so their less likely to support the protesters. One group of protesters has bought up the land which the runway is planned to be on and are now refusing to sell. Not that I'm saying I support one side or the other but I do admire ideas that are clever like that. Their achieving their way and not alienating potential supporters something they don't do too often.

anyway my thoughts are starting to ramble a bit now as it's getting late.

So see you tomorrow folks,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buying the land at Heathrow probably wasn't such a great idea.

The Government has the right to issue a Compulsory Purchase Order which effectively gives the them the right to buy ANY land in the UK at a rate that is usually way below market price. How else do you think they're getting the land that currently has 700 homes on it which are going to be demolished to make way for the runway?

Saxon said...

Leaving aside your last sentence which could be seen as extremely conderscending, I realised after re reading my post I perhaps didn't make myself clear.

I thought the idea was good as it drew attention to their protest and didn't hack any potential supporters off by closing the runway causing disruption etc. and now by owning the land I'm sure their already busy trying to come up with all sorts of legal arguements to fight the runway which they might not have had if they didn't own it.

Saxon said...

I am also well aware of the Compulsory purchase order rights that the government currently holds.