Saturday, January 03, 2009

Now I guess we wait and see.

Well after intense speculation in the press as to the 11th Doctor Who, Will it be David Morrisery? Will it be James Nesbiett? Will the products hire the first coloured actor, Greg patterson to hire the doctor or change things even more by hiring a actress and turning him into a woman? The new Doctor was revealed with much fanfare at the end of a very long special program (which had me yelling at the TV " Just get on with it and show us" once or twice) and the new doctor is Matt smith!


If your first reaction is "WHO?" then your not alone as that was my first reaction as well. Apparently he's appeared in a couple of programmes which don't seem to be that well known ( well I didn't see them and regular readers will know how much I usually watch TV). He's also going to be the youngest Doctor who ever and I'm betting that the internet is already alight with people moaning that he's too young to be the Doctor. Still I suppose we should give him a chance as everyone was screaming about Catherine Tate becoming the Doctors new Companion and that turned out very well. And if all else fails lets remember that if he is bad they can get rid of him easily enough :-)

The new series "Demons" started on ITV 1 tonight. It's been unfairly called a male version of 'buffy' with the lead character a guy called Luke and oh yes they did manage to squeeze a " USe the force" joke in there and he's the last of the Van Helsing Line so he has special abilities that will enable him to hunt down the baddies. I've seen a lot worse and I think as a series it has a lot of potential especially if they can develop the universe quickly enough to stop throwing in in jokey references to the Dracula novels. Also if they can improve the character of Lukes friend Ruby, she has the potential to become either really annoying, or the damsel in distress every week. Although the most interesting twist/retelling to the Dracula mythos was in the film Dracula 2001 which I must warn you was the only interesting thing in that the film whatsoever.

One big plus side for Demons is that they've got Zoe Tapper

playing the character of Mina Harker ( yes, yet another reference to the novel but clever this time). The actress also appears in the new version of Surviours from the BBC ( she landed two major roles in two major series on two different channels her agent must be good) and her character in that is also one of the better ones as well. (Oh word of warning don't watch the first episode of surviours if you have a cold or the flu, otherwise you might start to get worried:-). She seems very adept at playing characters with a vulnerable side which seems to want to bring out the chivarlious side in you. No? Okay just me then :-)

Still thinking about it there has been several strong female characters appearing in Sci fi/ fantasy series right now. The Character of Morgana in the series Merlin is another good example of this.

Hopefully in the next series they will give her more screentime as the character ( and the actress of course :-) are one of the full things from the first series that most people agree worked right!

Right what was I going to say before I went off in a ramble? Oh yes, today, pretty standard Saturday. Get up, go into town, get shopping etc. However in a slight change we met up with the majority of the Driver Clan for Lunch as they were down this way, which was nice and a lot of fun. The food was good too.

We're going to have to take the Christmas decorations down now which will be a lot of fun as we're going to have to get up in the loft to get the boxes, bring them down, fill them up then put them back up in the loft. Which is always a lot of fun. Not!

Church tomorrow. Which should be interesting in the sense of seeing if I can successfully keep the moral high ground and ignore those two YSA. Grumpy was asking if I'm going to try and find who my secret Santa was. I'm in two minds about it, I mean I am intrigued to know who it was, but on the other hand I don't know if want to know as it might destroy the 'magic of it' and besides I'm happy with the knowledge that I do have friends there who will do things for me even if I don't know who they are.

Time to go folks,

See you tomorrow.


4 comments:

Scully said...

The only reason I am concerned about the new Doctor is having a Doctor younger than me. It makes me feel old. I think I shall have to check out that Demons show. Sounds like a cross between Buffy and Supernatural. Good times. One more British show to nag Netflix for. Good luck tomorrow!

Nemesis said...

I think that new Doctor was in those Sally Lockhart movies with Billie Piper. He looked about 14 in them too.

Saxon said...

yes I think the age thing is going to bug a lot of people Scully as he does look a bit young to be the Doctor.

Saxon said...

You are indeed right Nemesis. He was in those Sally Lockhart programs with Billie Piper.