Monday, January 14, 2008

D'uh who put the lights out?

So picture the scene, It’s Sunday Night and both myself and Grumpy are sitting the front room each reading a book. There’s nothing on TV which wasn’t a repeat, a soap or a remake of some drama or another. When without warning the lights surge and brighten twice then cut out plunging the room into darkness. Yes folks in case you hadn’t guessed it we suffered a power cut last night. I’m not sure how far it spread across Shepshed but seeing as he was so close I guess Engineseer was probably affected as well.

So there we are sitting in darkness and unsurprisingly with all the power off and even the street lights outside out it was for all intents and purposes pitch black. So after a couple of moments, the conversation between myself and Grumpy went something like this; ( grumpy is represented by G)

G: “Powers out”
“Yes I had noticed”
G: “umm now what?”
“Do you know where the torch is?”
G: “Yes”
“Well where is it?”
G: “Upstairs somewhere”
“Oh that’s helpful”
G: “ I know”
“Do you have your phone there?”
G: “Why do you want to make a call?”
“No, but you can use the light from the screen to see”
G: “Oh right”

At which point he opens his mobile and the rooms gets lit in an ethereal bluish glow. Which allows me to find my mobile and use it’s light to find my way upstairs in search of the torch. See well prepared in case of emergency aren’t we? Using our mobiles to see in the dark. After a fruitless search I looked out the window to see every other house is dark in fact as far as I could see. I went downstairs and mentioned this to grumpy

“ It’s dark everywhere else as far as I can see”
G: “ Well if it’s Dark of course it’s going to be dark as far as you can see, if it wasn’t it would be light wouldn’t it?”

You’ve got to admit that for once he might have had a point. We were saved from anymore stupid comments by the lights coming back on and of course as is the way of things in these situations we then found the torch. Which did come in useful, ten minutes later when the power went out again. Fortunately this time the cut only lasted for a couple of minutes. Still it was a bit of excitement in an otherwise boring day.

Traffic was absolute chaos this morning. It took me one hour, five minutes to get into work this morning. A journey that only takes 25 minutes on a clear road! Although the side benefit of sitting in traffic that long is that it does encourage you to become very Zen like. Well it’s either that or go stark raving mad : - ) Or maybe I have already gone mad and nobodies noticed.

later!

No comments: