Friday, January 04, 2008

Menance to Society

Now apparently this is a term Brigham Young came up with. I don’t know the proper context and whether this was meant to be a serious comment or if it was meant tongue in check. Either way it’s starting to really tick me off. Especially as our Sunday school teacher gleefully decided to brand me one in last weeks lesson.

And why am I a menace to society I hear you ask? Well apparently all Men who are over 25 and not married are Menaces to society. So I guess this means I have yet a new line to add to my signature which now goes something like this;

Saxon,
An Optimistic pessimistic menace to society, strange outcast anti-Santa niche toy uber geek, who is not classified as a man by some YSA Females and Left handed right hand minion member of Engineseers team(BA)

(See didn’t forget the BA.)


Now I am more then aware that I am not married thank you very much. People branding me a ‘menace to society’ and finding it tremendously funny, is and you may find this a surprise not a big help! It doesn’t help with my confidence either.

Okay Rant over…. Sorry just had to get that out of my system :-)

This reminds me of one thing I was going to say. Smooth has just announced his engagement in another announcement that was rather anti climatic. I don’t think anybody was expecting him to come back from Utah and not be engaged.

But don’t get me started on Grumpys constant jokes about sending me to the USA to find a wife either!

Anyway,

9 comments:

Nemesis said...

Don't know if this will make you feel better, but I just did a tiny bit of research and ended up at BYU 100 Board archives (You post a question and someone on the team will answer within 100 hours). Someone asked in 2005 if Brigham Young ever really said that and this was the reply from Der Berliner:

"He may have, but never on the record. Here's a quote from Ernest Wilkenson at a commencement ceremony, 'As to the single men, I need merely to repeat the admonition attributed to Brigham Young, 'Every man not married and over twenty-five is a menace to the community.' I asked Dr. Lyman Tyler yesterday if he would document this for me, but he said he had been trying to document it for years; he had given up, so you will have to accept it either on faith, or as apocryphal."

So. There you go.

Nemesis said...

Also, this site made me laugh:

www.bigmormonpotluck.com

Saxon said...

he, he

that's great

Insight said...

Well, I was a menace for 2 years before getting wed then. I don't deny it, menace I may have been, but I am at least now a reformed menace.

Saxon said...

well I can but hope Insight that I will (hopefully) become a reformed menance to society too at some point.

Anonymous said...

ok saxon, I know you love comments on your blog. Sorry I have only left 1 before as comments dont seem to work on my phone.

Ok, what is all this about being single, 25 and a menace!?!? What the hell?

Most people are a menace aged about 12 years old or more, so 25 is good going!

Why this huge rush to get married by the time you are 25? Do you have a sell by date stamped on you or something?

Why rush? just take your time. You will be just as good a husband at age 50 as you would at 25.

Plus, since you are in school till you are 16/18 and in uni till you are 22 or 23 that only gives you around 2 years of "real life" to find a wife? thats crazy.

Best things come to those who wait and all that.

Saxon said...

yes I do like comments D Rat. If only so that I don't feel I'm doing a high tech version of talking to myself.

I don't think I have a sell by date stamped on me anywhere. At least not what I've found :-)

Ok, what is all this about being single, 25 and a menace!?!? What the hell?

honestly it's a mindset that does seem to be a bit unique to our church.

Unknown said...

I thought it was 27. At least that is how i have seen it quoted time and time again. You still have time if I am not mistaken. At least the interview with President Hinckley where Steve Young talked about not being married at 34 he said it was 27

Saxon said...

you could well be right Admin. I was going off what the teacher said.