Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Out there even by our standards

Marketing is a funny old game. Sometimes it's really easy othertimes it is not. Take the Da Vinci Code film for example. It got lots of free marketing by all of the furore surrounding it as the catholic church complained about. This probably also helped it be as successful as it was as people started to wonder 'just what was it' the church' didn't want them to see.

However if the marketing gurus were hoping for a repeat of this for the films sequel it looks like their going to be sorely disappointed as the catholic church has barely commented on the film. I can just picture a group of marketting execs now sitting round a table saying " Now what? " especially as the film is supposed to be a bit rubbish.

I borrowed Grumpys car today because I thought their might have been a good chance that I would need to give people lifts tonight and it's slightly easier to do that in his car then mine. My KA is fine, just not really built for passenger comfort.

As it turned out I only needed to give one person a lift and that was Physics who has returned fresh from his chinese adventures. The first thing he said when I picked up was " Oh I wondered who was picking me up?" Slightly bemused I asked him what he meant and he said he didn't have my number in his phone and was wondering who I was. After checking that this meant he actually accepted a lift without knowing who was giving the lift he said that, that was indeed the case but if I was going to institute I couldn't have been that crazy.

On the way into Leicester he was telling me about his trip but Physics being physics waited until I was in the process of eating some of my (rather quick) tea before adding " The most exciting part was the ten minutes dealing with the two hookers". I wasn't sure whether to choke or laugh, first. He then explained that he had learnt a valuable lesson why you shouldn't answer your hotel door at night even if the women looks like a member of staff. Apparently once he opened the door they got their foot in the door (literally) and he said his main difficulty was deciding where to push them when trying to get them out of his room. He didn't know whether to push her on the back or neck would have been too manly and mean. He decided not to push her on the front as he was worried she might have charged him for that. At which point I was giggling so hard I was having trouble keeping the car straight.

I was quite surprised when I sat down in class and out substitute teacher Bro RH looked at me and said " We're waiting for you". I looked at my watch in surprise and asked him what he meant as it was almost fifteen minutes before the start of the lesson. " The lesson should have started at 7" he replied making me realise that somewhere in the communication between Bro H and Bro RH, Bro H had forgotten to mention we started later in the summer. The students who were already there hadn't realised this either. They thought we had started half an hour late last week due to technical problems.

Physics then came out with what must be one of his all time classics. I don't remember how precisily we got to this point and I'll try and remain basic as not to confuse my non LDS readers but we ended up talking about the spirit world (Heaven in other words) and how things might be different up there compared to life down here. Bro RH said something along the lines of we don't know what thigns would be like Day to day and we could well spent our days walking along having deep discussions and eating grapes. Someone then asked would there be food then? and Bro RH said well they could be spirtual Grapes. Physics with a totally straight face then said
" We drink the spirit of the grapes"
" Yes we could" Bro RH agreed and I mentally started counting to see how long it was before he realised precisily what Physics had just said.

I think I got to five before the penny dropped with a resounding clang and Bro RH quickly corrected himself.

For activity AF was running things, I'm still trying to think of a nickname for him, Mr Modesty is coming near the top of the list right now. It was a really bizarre and different activity but I haven't laughed so hard at a activity in a long time. AF had basically borrowed a parachute from his Mum's school/playgroup, you know the kind I mean one of these multi-coloured ones with handles which I think I last used back when I was in primary school, and he proceeded to run all these games involving the group and this parachute. It was utterly mad but also utterly funny.

I think I might well put him on the list to run an activity again.

anyway,

Later folks

No comments: