Wednesday, May 13, 2009

And I thought nothing weirder could come that country

I was listening to the radio on the way into work this morning and I heard some clips of a new ‘system’ of learning in languages in Japan, where people learn to ‘music’, by singing language phrases. Now this clips were from the course for people who are visiting the UK to learn the phrases that their most likely to use during their time here.

So far so good I’m sure you’ll agree. What I was more intrigued/worried about was the list of phrases that they think Japan people visiting the UK will need to know ( I’m paraphrasing here in a couple of phrases as I can’t remember the exact words.) Here’s a selection of some of the phrases;
“ I’ve got a bad case of diarrhea ”
“ I’ve been mugged by two big men”
“ Take what ever you want”

This reminded me of the time I went to the USA and was a camp counsellor in Wisconsin . One of the kids said to me in all seriousness,( which made it all the more scary) that I must be feeling very grateful for the chance to come to the USA as unlike England they had running water and toilets.

I declined to reply.

While the row about Mp’s expense’s continues to rumble on for some bizarre reason the other story which seems to be taking most of the headlines is the spilt of Jordan and Peter Andre. Now I think it speaks volumes to the perceived view of those two being only interested in all of the media attention they can get that some bookies are already taking bets on the two of them getting back together. The audience for their reality show on ITV2 apparently doubled after the spilt was announced, which lets be honest was probably down to lots of people just wanted to watch and see if they could see any signs or reasons for the spilt.

Mind you with their fly on the wall reality show being in something like its six series and them seemingly being in the paper every other day I think most people found the statement from Jordan asking the media to respect her privacy deeply ironic.

The most important lesson from tonights institute class? Why make sure I always have a back up activity planned just i nthe case the person I ask is a no show for what reason. That happened this evening and left me a bit stuck. Oh well you live and learn as they say.

Later folks!

No comments: