Thursday, October 23, 2008

I don't know

If was with some bemusement today that I read that the government has decided that in an attempt to decrease the number of underage pregnacies and rising STD levels that all school kids will have to now undergo complusary sex education. Not a bad thing for teenagers I'll agree but what bemused me was the fact that somebody thinks it's a good idea to start these lessons as soon as they get into primary school. Then in what seemed like a frantic attempt to stop certain groups of people throwing a fit they explained that the lessons given to five year olds would not be to the same standard as the lessons given to teenagers and the "'Sex and relationships' " lessons for the younger pupils would focus on things like relationships and teaching children the names to different parts of the bodies.

This whole thing smacks of an idea somewhat thought up in a boardroom in an attempt to be PC and hasn't thought this through in the slightist. There is no need to given sex education to five year olds! At least leave it till people are 10. What ever happened to letting Kids be kids. For goodness sake when we had biology lessons in high school when we were 12/13 most people couldn't sit through the lessons with our giggling so how they think five year olds will manage I have no idea. I have a distrubing vision of a lot of young kids having conversations far too grown up for their age.

And as for the relationship part that's even more funny. When your that young your friendships tend to last for as long as it takes for someone to refuse not to let you play with their toy or lend you a crayon or give you their cookie. They don't need lessons on 'relationships'. Even teenagers aren't old enough to have 'proper' relationships especially once they discover members of the opposite sex. One of my friends in High school and I use that term loosely as he was really just a bully who forced he way into our group of friends and took over by intermidating all of us , at the time none of us realised what was happening as we were in awe that a 'cool kid' wanted to hang out with us and none of us stopped to wonder wh a 'cool kid' would want to hang out with us ( yes I was that geeky even in high school) but I digress, well he used to go through girls quicker then well a quick thing goes through quick things ( it's been a long day I can't think of anything and I'm sure you can insert your own cliche there). I think his record for longest lasting girl was two months and the shortest was 4 minutes mainly as she refused to go behind the cricket pavilion straight away to 'snog him' I just used to watch all this with complete confusion wondering why the bad guy was getting all the girls and how he still got girls even though they all knew what he was like. See I didn't understand relationships then ( and probably don't now to be honest but then which male says they can completely understand females anyway) and I was in my early teens. I dread to think what it would have been like if someone had tried to teach me about relationships when I was five! Probably would have stopped me from talking to a girl ever again!

Anyway,

I had to fill up with petrol this morning and it was all the way down to 97.9 pence! Which probably means that the government will hit us with a fuel duty rise any second now.

Work was interesting today, especially the meeting we had this afternoon which was two hours long but still fun as I got to hear about lots of thinhs we'll be doing in the future. But of course as it's the future I can't talk about it. The other downside is some of these things sound very cool ineed but I'm going to have to wait a long time as the authors haven't even started writing them yet!

Well I suppose I can wait, after all I do have one or two books knocking around the house I could read in stead :-) Or to be honest three or four bookcases full of books I could read.

Yes the attempt to thin out my library did not go so well.

oh well,

maybe next time.

Later folks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking you are misunderstanding what they mean by relationships - they mean how to be a friend, how to be kind, how to deal with others as in sharing, taking turns, dealing with feelings, etc. Eg. when we get cross we don't throw things across the room and hit people but breathe deeply, walk away, etc.

And I agree about letting children be children but there are also many children out there who watch a lot of TV and learn a lot of wrongs things about love. Someone needs to teach them that love and sex aren't the same thing. Unfortunately parents don't seem to.

Saxon said...

okay I'll admit Banana when you put it like that it makes much more sense.