Wednesday, May 07, 2008

To be e friendly or not e friendly, that is the question.

I decided to get up early today so I could leave a bit earlier in a effort to try and avoid the roadworks that resulted in the two mile traffic jam yesterday. The other major roadworks are still there, and their now two days late from when they said they were supposed to be finishing and bear in mind that date was put back a month anyway.

Of course having left early (I really should have seen this coming) I discovered that the traffic this morning was very very light and the roadworks from yesterday were already gone. So I got to work rather early. It always a bad sign for the rest of your day when you get to work early and Irony is laughing it's head off at you.

We're still having a slight problem with the temperature in our office. Initially it was too hot, so some people wanted to put the AC on, others to be environmentally friendly and open the windows. The enviroment people won. Until Lunch time when they decided it was too hot and they wanted the AC on. So we closed the window and turned the AC on. Then a little while later someone then complained it was too cold and could we turn the AC off and open the windows. Which we did........... I really hope we don't end up doing this all summer.

I've just finished reading another manuscript for work and I'm currently writing up my notes. I having to be especially clear with this one as I tried to explain to one of the editors a problem with the story with relation to established background. i realised after about thirty seconds I had completely lost the editor and might have well been speaking dutch. Well at the least I'll hope the author understand what I means. My knowledge of our background might be very geeky but at least I can put it to good use. Even if I never get a credit in any of the books I help proof. But c'est la vie I guess. I know I helped, even if no one else does.

It was very nice driving to institute this evening. I was able to open the sunroof, (first time this year) and put the window down. I even had to wear my sunglasses too. It's really nice weather at the moment. Unfortuantely it's not going to last, but we'll take whatever we can get for now.

We told Bro H about the comments some other stakes had made about the grad balls we had organised in previous years. He was not impressed. Which is fair as the comments were totally uncalled for. We were a bi on the light side this evening. Bro H did say he might start to become paranoid from now on as there always seem to be the largest classes when someone else is teaching.

There was a lot of talk about the dance on Friday. It seems that not many people will be getting theme dress. My suggestion was that I might go as someone from the 1960s whose going to a fancy dress event wearing what somebody in 2008 might wear. Engineseer seemed to like this idea but suggested time travel might be better excuse for not coming in 1960s clothing.

His liking of this idea did seem a bit dampened when I pointed out that trying time travel ( no I don't know how we got to this point of the conversation after starting off talking about fancy dress) would not give him an excuse to drive at 88 miles per hour from geeksville to the stake centre. He shrugged and announced it would be fine. If he gets pulled over he already has a good excuse ready
" Me speeding. Why no officer, I was merely driving at a speed appropriate to the road conditions in a effort to charge the secondary gyro relays which in turn power the flux capaciter which would allow me to break the transwarp time barrier allowing me to travel to a different time zone"
I'm not sure if he was joking or not. He was a bit demob happy as he's now handed his university project in.

Anyway, That's all for now,

tune in tomorrow, same geek life, same geek channel

No comments: