Saturday, April 11, 2009

The boards were set, the pieces starting moving

I was initially worried that I might struggle to wake up this morning as it was a Saturday and I'm used to waking up a lot later. But I didn't. I actually woke up with no problems like it was a normal work day which it wasn't but it seemed like it and I was going to be at work but not in the usual sense in a different part of the building so it wasn't a normal working day even though it was. And by this point I had managed to throughly confuse myself and came to the conclusion that some mornings it is better to leave the complicated thoughts until after breakfast.

The roads were almost totally empty on the way into work, which I suppose makes sense as it was Saturday and lets be honest most people unless they have a pressing need will not be on the road before 8am and are much more likely to be in bed.

Still the day was most like days which you spend months preparing for. Over in what seemed like a flash :-) Even if everything had gone totally, totally wrong my day was pretty much made when as one of the officially designated area managers for the area I had helped organise, I was given a radio which was awesome as it made me feel really important as at other shows I've been too only the really important team leaders had radios. Yes my feet might have hurt by the end of the day and my ear feels a bit funny from wearing a earpiece for nearly 7 hours but I had a radio. Not that there was much need for it and my lack of proper radio terms would have earned me a gibbs smack from my old ATC instructors but still I had a radio.

However the day did not go wrong. Not in the slightist. In fact as far as I could tell my section that I had organised with one of my colleagues seemed to go very, very well indeed. It was hard not to feel a real sense of pride as I watched the long weeks of planning, preparing, painting and phone calls come together. By the end of the day my colleague and I decided that we would rate things as 8 out of 10. Not perfect and there were areas that could be improved if we do the event again but still pretty darn impressive for the first one. Of course we could be totally wrong but I'm going to choose to go with the feeling of pride for now.

Driving home was 'interesting' as it's a bit difficult to drive with numb feet where the feeling is slowly returning. Still I managed to make it home okay though. before it go too bad to find that Grumpy had tea already for me.

Due to timing issues I missed the start of Doctor who so I decided to wait and watch it on the iplayer instead. It awesome and Michelle Ryan was surprisingly good as the companion for this special. She certainly suits a posh english accent rather then the dodgy american one she had in the bionic woman. Lee Evans was also good and kept the lid on the zanyness right until the end which probably helped the story no end. The special did end on a big note of foreboding which I won't say a thing about as I wouldn't want to spoil it for Scully. The next special is apparently due in November time(ish) and will be called 'The Waters of Mars".

I also watched primeval which was surprising for it's major twist which I hope will serve to give the series a boost but it could also be it's death kneel as well. It's a double edged sword and to be honest I'm not sure which way it will fall right now.

Anyway, Sunday tomorrow.

Later folks!

2 comments:

Scully said...

Hopefully I will be able to discuss in a couple of days. I have a friend here who knows the ins and outs of something called BitTorrent and he said he would hook me up w/ the Doctor Who special. Good times. I saw the promo, which looked awesome. Glad your big project/event turned out well. It is always a good feeling when the big things work out. Happy Easter!

Saxon said...

I hope you like it as much as I did.