Monday, November 02, 2009

New beginnings

It's been a very interesting day if somewhat surreal.

I mean I got up at the usual time for work, I got ready for work in the same way and when I left the house I even left geektown in the same way.

However that's where the similiarity ended because as it a seemingt nod to Doctor Who when I reached a certain point I turned left instead of right and travelled in a new direction for the first time in almost seven years.

The new company I work for is well known and is based at the nearby airport. This means that the distance I have to travel each day has been more then halved.

Not bad, even if this means I have to dress like a grown up for work. They did mention today that as long as we wore a shirt that would be fine but we don't have to wear a tie. Not that I would dare do that as it's one of Grumpys biggest bug bears these days. People wearing shirts without ties!

It's also a little longer to get from the car park to the office that it was at my last place. A mile and a half to be exact. Fortunatly the company puts on a free mini bus so you don't have to face a long walk each morning.

There were six other people starting today as well so it's been a very interesting day. It was just a basic 'welcome' session today. The training will begin in earnest tomorrow. It's a very regimented and comprehensive training regime as we've got four weeks of training ahead of us, with certificates, assessments etc. We should be fun, it's certainly going to be a interesting challenge and to be honest I'm looking forward to it. It should be interesting as it's similiar to what I was doing but also very different.

The system of breaks was different as well. Rather then one hour for lunch you get two 15 minute breaks, one in morning, one in the afternoon and a half an hour for lunch. However during training you get your lunch boosted to one hour and you still get your two breaks. It was weird at lunch today as i found myself at a loss as to what to do. At my last place I could paint some models and did so every lunch time for probably the last four years so it seemed strange not to be painting.

Even though this new place is based quite near a junction of the motorway it was surprisingly easy to get home quickly. Of course I've probably just fated myself for tomorrow but c'est la vie.

It's good to be working again. I know that everyone who works will at some point or another will complain about their work and say that they want a break. However when you don't have work you find yourself at a massive loss as to what to do. I have to admit that as October wore on I found that the time I was getting up was gradually getting later and later.

Not to say that I was sleeping in till Mid day or anything even close to that but it was later then usual that's for sure.

The Loughborough fair is due to be here shortly. Should be fun, if we can get a YSA trip together that is.

anyway,

Later folks.

No comments: