Monday, November 16, 2009

I see girls

There are always differences between companies no matter how similar the fields their in. There are also a lot of differences between my new job and my old one which isn't surprising considering my old place was about as good a example of extreme niche as you can get. The fact that it's closer, I now get home before 6pm and I have to wear grown up clothes to work are just a few of the differences.

The other difference is the sheer amount of girls at my new place. In fact I think they outnumber the guys which might not sound like a big thing but at my last place the ratio was significantlly in the other direction as the GW hobby has always been a more male dominated place. And that's not being sexist just a simple fact.

I have to admit I found today very hard with it being my first full day on the phones dealing with customers. Despite my new found sense of optimism in most things I was not feeling too good by mid day and was having one of those deeply pessimistic bouts that I have had in the past, Why am I here? Why am I doing this? I can't do this.. etc, etc, etc,etc.

Still by early afternoon I was starting to feel a lot better about things and finished the day feeling a lot more confident with a sense of what do you know? I can do this!

I had a slight detour on the way home to geektown, well I say slight it was into Loughborough as one of my colleagues from the training group was going to wait for a bus but she wasn't sure she had enough money for the bus and it was getting cold etc, so with that deeply ingrained sense of gentlemaness I have I gave her a lift home as there was no way I was going to feel comfortable knowing I had left a lady out in the cold.

Grumpy and I headed up to Leicester this evening as i needed to do a bit of clothes shopping. Yes you read that right I was going to spend money on clothes before I needed to, i.e worn the previous ones out! Shock story, news at 11!

We also popped into borders where I actually managed to find a couple of novels that I wanted to read. I steadfastly ignored the stupidly large section on Twilight. I am so not going to read that series! just because it was written by a mormon!

anyway,

Later folks!

1 comment:

Drat said...

hey saxon! good to hear about the LADIES!! nice one! that will help for sure, because even if you are having a bad day, at least you get to work with a few girls, so thats better than nothing!

I remember when I was working on the phones in one of my first jobs, and the first 2 weeks were quite terrifying, but after 2 weeks everything was fine. I guess once you have answered the same question 100 times you get used to it and can just focus on getting the job done as effectivly as possible.


Oh yeah, as for a book you NEED to read THE GAME by Neil Strauss!