Wednesday, February 04, 2009

An Unexpected visitor

Our central heating system like most has it's own 'character' in that it will make the occasional noise from time to time which you do get used to. However when watching a DVD this morning I became away of a rather odd clanging sound. Now I was worred that maybe the central heating was starting to develop a fault at the worst possible time but then I realised that the noise didn't seem to be coming from the heating system but from upstairs in the direction of Grumpys office. So I decided that either he was shifting stuff around or Owen was up to something.

However the sound started to get closer and louder which was very weird as it definatly wasn't coming from the direction of any of the pipes, I then started to hear this ever odd noise. So as you can imagine by this point it was starting to seem a little horror movieish. You know what I mean, the build up as the bad guy is about to close in on one of the 'good guys' and bump them off in a horrible way. Of course as soon as I thought of this I couldn't help but run through a list of bad guys in my head. It couldn't have been freddy as I wasn't asleep, it couldn't have been Michael as I wasn't a babysitter, it wasn't Jason as I wasn't near a lake and it couldn't have been pinhead as I haven't been playing with any puzzle boxes. Still these noise was getting louder and louder. Suddenly I noticed movement at the bottom of our fireplace as I could see something trying to force itself through.......

Then had to duck rather rapidly as something flew directly at me. I quickly scrambled into the hall pulling the door shut behind me in time to stop this thing flying at me a second time. It was at this point that I got a good look at my 'assaliant' and it was a bird. Now quite how a bird got itself down our chimney I have no idea. Quite how it managed to squeeze through a less then half an inch gap is also a puzzle. So we now how a bird flying around in our lounge, going somewhat batty. In a situation like this it called for a definite plan, for action, for a well thought out solution.

However I didn't have any of that so I did the next best thing I could think of.
" Grumpy? Help!"

Grumpy quickly came downstairs and I explained the situation to him whilst he stood there somewhat bemused. Owen on the other hand looked delighted and kept trying to get past us and into the Lounge ( remember folks he can open our doors by himself. Don't believe me see here ) because I guess as far as he was concerned he finally had a bird cornered and it couldn't fly away like the birds usually do on his walks. I held onto Owen as Grumpy went it to try and open the window to coax it out. However he couldn't find out how to open the window (D'oh!) and the bird kept flying at him. So I then had to go in and open the window, then Grumpy went back in to try and coax it out. Owen was pretty much going bananas at this point. The bird then decided instead of going for the open window it would fly into the dining room instead. However Grumpy was able to get the big window in there open and it eventually flew away, leaving Grumpy and I to puzzle over how it got under the fire and Owen sulking in the corner as we let the bird get away.

They are forcecasting 10 inches of snow for tomorrow. Considering the snowfall on Monday was measured in CM if we do get that I'm sure chaos is going to result very quickly especially as many councils are running out of grit!

Most of the snow melted tody but apparently many schools were still closed. The reason? Why health and safety grounds of course as children might be tempted to still throw snowballs and as much of the snow was now icy if it hit a child in the eye it might injure them and they would then be abe to sue the school. However did the Human race survive before the invention of Health and Safety?

anyway,

Later folks!

No comments: