Tuesday, February 03, 2009

snow? Ice? Hard to tell anymore

Well the snow stopped late last night but it still remained very cold which meant the main problem facing most people this morning was that a lot of the snow had turned to ice which meant it was rather slippy to venture outside. Unfortunatly we had to as we needed to get the rubbish bin put out for collection. See schools are shut, some airports, there's a lack of grit for the roads but somehow the rubbish lorrys are still able to collect, go figure.

I was intrigued to notice a steady flow of young lads going back and forth down the side of the house with sleds full of snow. I looked out of an upstairs window and discovered that they were moved up and down the estate finding the best patches of snow still around and filling their sleds before taking the snow off somewhere before coming back with empty sleds to get some more. I don't know what they were planning but whatever it was it involved a heck of a lot of snow.

We also think our next door neighbours have moved out as they've been filling up cars and taking stuff away since yesterday. It's a bit of a odd get up anyway as they were using the ground floor for a business and someone was living upstairs. I think they were our fourth or fifth neighbours since we've lived here. We do seem a bit fated with our next door neighbours. Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see who we get next.

I've seen some footage from the new GI joe and transformers 2 movies. Plus I've also seen that their releasing a new 60 second trailer for the new series of Torchwood on the BBC website at 9pm. I'm still not sure of this plan of theirs to make it a five part series and show it over the course of one week but I guess we'll see.

Oh I've just seen that their forcasting another heavy snowfall for Thursday. I'm starting to feel glad that I took this week off otherwise I would have not enjoyed the trips too and from work. I probably would have ended up exceptionally tense by the time I arrived at work and thats no way to start a day :-)

Well in the news today ( asides from the usual the standard blame game starting of trying to find a scapegoat to pin problems with the snow yesterday on) a school has spent £25,000 on sending 40 pupils to San Francisco because 'they rarely venture outside of their council estate'. Lucky for some we never had anything like this at my high school! We only had a french exchange and even then we had to pay for it.

anyway,

Later folks!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

The difference between ice and snow may very well be felt should you land on your...um, how do they say it there? Your "arse?" The ice hurts!

Then, more snow on Thursday? YIKES. Best buy up the hot cocoa. Do they drink that a lot over there?