Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Wandering wonder

Well after a somewhat late start to the day, (hey both Engineseer and I are on holiday so we can have a lie in, although there is there age old question to consider how much of a lie in is too much?) we eat breakfast out on their balcony as the weather is somewhat better here then compared to the weather in the UK. Engineseer was right, they do have one heck of a view of the forest.

I also had fun trying to open the blinds as well in the room where I'm staying as I couldn't figure out which way to work the handle to open the outside blinds. I'm staying in Engineseers room and he's sleeping in his sisters as the rest of the family is currently away. It seems that everyone prefers blinds over here rather then Curtains. I am intrigued though as to why they have blinds on the inside as well as the outside of the windows but I guess it makes sense to some designer somewhere, somehow.

We got the Bus into town which was actually really cheap at only 1.50 euros per ticket and you basically get unlimited travel for two hours. The one thing I have noticed is that theres a bewildering number of bus company's operating in the city and there are many different designs of bus in use too. Theres no double decker's though which admitally is a slightly odd thing to notice but there you go.

We wandered round the town looking at the 'sights' as it were. I did take some photos which I'll post when I get the opportunity. We decided to have lunch in a place called 'quick' which is a fast food burger restaurant here in Luxembourg which I'm sure will claim that any similarities between Engineseer's Generic high street restaurant's, burger King and it are totally co incendental.

After Lunch we went into the centre of town to see the cathedral and a building which Engineseer refers to as " Gringotts" after the bank in Harry potter. I had to admit that it does bear a remarkable similarity. We also went to have a looks at the battlements from the old town and the park in the centre of town which runs along the foot of the battlements. It was one heck of a long way down to get to the park floor, it seemed even longer to get back up. Engineseer was kidding when he said that we would walk off our lunch pretty quick.

Engineseer was claiming this morning that he hasn't learnt the language very well, so has had to get very good at gesturing to get his point across. Mind you despite his protests he seems to have learnt the important phrases pretty quickly. Like how to get a bus ticket and order 'food' :-)

I also saw the shop where Engineseer gets his GW stuffs from. It was a huge toy store which all my nieces and nephews would have loved as it was just crammed full of toys across three huge floors!

We returned to his late afternoon. Tea was interesting as Enginesser decided to try using some German Lassana. How lets just say that he do not meet the usual standard of 'German Efficiency' as it were and neither of us were that impressed.

Still Engineseer had a plan B as it were but that would have to wait as he had his institute class to go to so I said I would come too as I was intrigued to see what it would be like compared to Leicesters. Well the main difference was it was very small. I increased the class size by a third! the ward here also doesn't have a chapel. They have a very small office type building instead.

After institute we went to get pizza for pizza hut. See it's still pizza hut over here none of that pasta hut rubbish. Of course the problem we ran into was decided what to get as we both asked the other to make the decision what to get! This is why we usually need a third person so they can make final decisions. As part of his job ( and I'm still not sure how or why but I'm not complaining) Engineseer gets a lot of Luncheon vouchers for free which meant in essence the pizza we got was free. And that's the best kind of pizza :-)

Anyway we've off to some town down south as it were tomorrow. I can't remember the name but engineseer describes it as the closest thing to the seeside that you can get in a landlocked country.

Sounds interesting.

Later folks!

No comments: