Friday, November 07, 2008

One hour forward, one hour back

Well the day started much, much earlier then I would have wanted at 5.45am this morning. Of course whilst getting ready the very early morning fog that seemed to be clouding my brain was not helped by trying to figure out what time it was is the UK. We left Engineseers apartment to find there was thick fog everywhere which just seemed to compound the fun of having to get up that early immensly.

After saying our goodbyes I boarded the bus to find it all but empty but then again considering the time of day it shouldn't have been that surprising. I was looking forward to see what the luxembourg/German countryside looked as the sun came up as it was still dark at the time I boarded the bus but the fog persisted so I didn't actually see the sun at all. It just seemed to change from dark and very gloomy to just gloomy.

We go to the airport bang on time ( must be German efficiency :-) which was the exact time check in opened so I was able to get rid of my case straight away. Of course the boring part was then waiting around two hours for the Flight which gets very boring when your by yourself. Still we were finally able to get on the plane and after a very brief delay we were off.

We actually got a tailwind on the journey back to the UK so we landed technically only ten minutes after the time we set off. If we hadn't been delayed we might even have landed the same time we set off. Which would have really messed with my head as travelling across timezones tends to make my internal clock go all screwy.

I was able to get through passport control with no problems and my bag was already on the carousel when I got there so I was able to go straight through to arrivals with no real delay. Grumpy was already there to collect me so I didn't have to wait around at all. We did discover when we got back to the carpark that he had been in the car park for 61 minutes which meant as he was over the hour the ticket went from £3.30 to £6! He was only out by one minute.

I found it mildly disconcerting to be back on the 'rightside' of the road again as having only just got used to being on the wrongside in Luxembourg and it also didn't feel like I had been on the go for over six hours at that point, although if you went by the local time.

argghhhh!! My body clock is so confused right now and I don't see why it should be. It was only a hour difference.

Still it was good to get home and put my feet up although my putting my feet up for a moment turned out to be a very long moment as I fell asleep in the chair for half an hour. Owen seemed intrigued to see that I was back but was more interested in seeing Grumpy as he wanted to go out for a walk.

Anyway over all I had a very good week and it was a lot of fun to go on a actual holiday and get away from it all for a few days. It didn't seem like a week though. Time does fly on Holidays when you actually take a holiday.

I was surprised to see a news item today about a protest being held outside of the LA Temple in connection which church members support of proposition 8 ( I think thats what its called) in Califonia. It just seemed well odd. I don't really know what else to say about it but to be honest I haven't really followed anything about this story or the whole thing about proposition 8 so I don't have any knowledge to be able to make any informed comment about the whole thing.

Still, it's the weekend tomorrow so two more days until it's time to go back to work. But I don't have to worry about that till Monday. So I guess it's time to find something fun and constructive to do for the next two days.

Later folks!

2 comments:

Nemesis said...

Howdy, friend. Proposition 8 was a proposition to amend the state of California's constitution to define marriage as only existing between and man and a woman, which would overturn the earlier ruling this year allowing gay marriage in the state. The Church asked members in CA to contribute time and money to supporting the proposition. It passed, so now people who were in support of gay marriage are angry with the church for their involvement in politics. That's it in a nutshell, I think!

Nemesis said...

The reason why the Church is being targeted especially is because very many of the millions raised to support Prop 8 came from the church, as opposed to smaller amounts from other members of the coalition.