Monday, November 03, 2008

I may not be able to spell it but I'm here anyway

Well in a first as promised this blog post is actually coming to you from a totally different country and yes it may be one where I can't actually spell the name of it without looking it up but I'm here anyway.

My day started off fairly early this morning as Grumpy wasn't sure how bad the rush hour traffic would be so he insisted that we set off nice and early. Of couse irony decided to step in at this point and we arrived nearly an hour and a half before check in even opened. But as grumpy put it better a hour early then one minute late. After a quick check to make sure I had everything he headed home whilst swearing about the cost of the short stay car park, £1 for 20 minutes and £3 for every 15 minutes after that.

After sitting around for and a hour and a bit the check in finally opened so I was able to check in and get rid of my case for a bit. Of course before I was able to get into the departure lounge I had to go through the fun of the security which now includes you having to remove your shoes and having them x-rayed! I did get a bit worried when one of the security guards asked me to hold on but it turned out she had seen my DS and wanted to ask me if I knew where to buy a copy of the simpsons game as her son wanted one and she had no idea where to get one from.

After a further hour and a bit of waiting it was time to board and it was a quite different way of boarding as I've experienced with other times I've flown. Basically your not assigned a seat number, you basically get on the plane and choose your own which was nice as I was able to bag myself a window seat.

What wasn't so good was I got really thirsty on the flight and I hadn't got a drink with me due to these new rules about liquid. I had to buy a drink from the drinks cart which was 1.5 euros for one of the really tiny 'fun size' cans. Which was about the equivilant of 0.30 euros per sip.

Still the flight was nice and quick at just over a hour, bu we 'landed' two hours after we had set off. Boy I hate time difference! the other thing I didn't realise was how small Frankfurt han airport would be, it seemed to be all of twenty steps from getting off the plane, to going through baggage claim, to going through passport control to getting to the airport exit!

I wasn't impressed when I got my case back as the new luggage tag I had bought hadn't survived the trip! It had snapped straight off so goodness knows where that ended up.

Also with the airport being so small it meant that I had over an hour to wait to catch my coach as I had left a lot of time to get through all the various contrels which I didn't need. Of course I'm sure that if I hadn't irony would have once again stepped in. Fortunately the earlier coach hadn't left so I was able to catch it as it wasn't full. It was a very interested trip seeing all the countryside between Frankfurt and Luxembourg, even if it felt really weird being on the wrong side of the road. I also found it amusing that theres a big difference between the idea of 'major roadworks'. In the UK it's retarmacing the road, in Germany it's closing half a road off whilst three huge diggers and four trucks plus a whole lot of workers rip trees out of the mountainside!

Finally reaching Luxembourg I soon met up with Engineseer ( okay I had a short wait but it was partly my fault for catching the earlier coach thus waylaying his earlier plans) and we caught the bus back to his. As it was dark when i got here I haven't yet been able to see the view he keeps talking about but he assures me it will be worth the wait to see it in the morning.

So the rest of the evening has basically been spent catching up as it were as Engineseer wanted to catch up on all the gossip, erhh sorry, sorry I meant information about certain events around leicester YSA he might find interesting or relevant. and also discussing what we will be doing for the rest of the week. He has big plans as he rattled off a huge list of what we could do for the rest of the week and I nodded thinking the week would be jammed packed. He the paused and added "and on Wednesday and thursday" so I think it's safe to say this is going to be a very busy holiday.

Of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't bring my camera along! So expect quite a few photos to follow.

Later folks!

No comments: