Monday, August 31, 2009

Manchester YSA conference 2009: Friday night " Arggghhh"

So after settling in and choosing to be brave and try one of the food places across the road from the campus I was feeling much more positive. Well in my defence it's very hard to maintain a positive attitude after being stuck in a traffic jam for a hour and a half on your own! I headed across to the main centre to see what was going on.

Now last year we had a sorta fair ground theme going on. This year well I'm not entirely sure what kinda theme was going on. But to be fair I didn't pay massively close attention to some of the drawing activities spread out on tables as I was too busy looking to see if I could see anybody I recognised, being acquaintances from last year or friends who might have decided to come anyway.

As the night wore on I started to get a bit concerned as I didn't see anyone I recognised. I know that I went last year and made friends but there were some people I sorta knew to form a 'in road' in to introducing myself to people. I did start to wonder if I was going to have to be 'really forward' and just start interjecting myself into conversations.


Eventually I ran into a girl I knew from Nottingham and one of the students from Loughborough but they were busy with their friends so they couldn't chat for long. It was at this point that the first 'act' started performing. A dance troop doing a number from..... HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!!!! Arggghhhh!!!! Not that anything but that........ ( yeah I'm not a fan of those films)


There were some other performances including a bollywood themed dance number


So I was starting to wonder that maybe my bravery coming by myself last year had turned into stupidity by coming by myself again and trying to suppress that niggling little voice in my head that was telling me things weren't going to go well. When ( this girl has the best timing) Travellers friend who I had met last year ( in the massage class) appeared. It's amazing how quickly things can brighten up when you see a friendly face who greets you with a smile, gives you a hug and is glad to see you.
I then ran into a guy I had met last year which also helped as we caught up and he then started to introduce me to a lot of his friends and this guys friends circle is significantly larger then mine!
The opening exercises for the conference started and it was impossible to deny the great spirit that seemed to fill the room at this point and it certainly gave me a boost. I decided to head back to my room after the opening exercises as I had a feeling I was going to need all the sleep I could get ( and I had remembered a extra pillow for the first time in three years!).

I was walking back through the car park when to my great surprise I had to run into J Alfred (social's brother) and his girlfriend who I shall give the code name Miss Swan (I’ll be really impressed if anyone figures out why I've given her that name as it's along the lines of the in depth reasoning behind drats codename) who had decided to come to conference which meant I wasn't the only person from our side of the Stake yah!! Then in one of those great coincidences that only seem to happen at church activities, a girl who studies in Nottingham but used to live in Leicester came along at that moment, so the four 'leicesterites' had ended up meeting randomly in the middle of the carpark on the complete off chance.

I was getting ready for bed when I looked at the schedule for the first time and I noticed something in the schedule. No massage class!! Now despite the initial problems in last year’s class I had always attended them because they were a lot of fun and it was great way to 'break the ice' as it were when you meet new people.

So that would meet I would have to fall back on my personality and wit (or at least half of it) when trying to meet new people and impress them...............

hmmm, if that's all I've got to go on I could have a problem here...... :-)


No comments: