Wednesday, August 23, 2006

clever, clever people

There are lots of different kinds of people in this world. Smart people, clever people, stupid people, chatty people to name but a few and there are those people who have just waaaayyyyyy too much time on their hands. On the way into work yesterday I heard something which darn near left me speechless. Due to a single, that's right one complaint the TV complaints department ( can't remember what their called) has decided that episodes of Tom and jerry have to be censored as in some episodes they appear to be condoning smoking. So the TV channels are now removing the parts showing smoking, however apparently all of the sections showing cruelty to animals, stabbings, crushing, being set on fire, having large weights dropped on heads etc is all perfectly fine and it's no problem according to the complaint maker that kids see that. It's the smoking is the problem and could influence kids apparently. I really don't think there is anything I can say that would use a lot of swear words. Lets just leave it as , the worlds gone mad!

There's also another kind of person, one who's sneaky and far too clever for their own good. Case in point, my nephew JB. I popped round on Monday as promised to play computer games with him for a while, which he seemed to enjoy, and got me feeling all nostalgic and old, as they were the games that I played when I was younger when 16 bit consoles were the most advanced gaming consoles around. Come a long way now haven't we? His sister and my youngest niece R or Roo as they call her was crawling around the place, generally investigating anything and everything she could get her hands on as kids do at that age. Well she decided that the stereo looked very interesting and pulled herself up to start experimenting by pushing some buttons. JB immediately jumped up and went across and I assumed that he knew to pull her away. He asked her if she wanted some music and started pushing some buttons, so being rather oldish now and yet somehow still naive I assumed he was putting some music on for her. He pushed some buttons and she copied him and then he stood back and watched her push more buttons with a grin on his face. I was about to say something when quick as a flash he ran to the conservatory door and yelled out to J who was putting some washing on the line that Roo was being a naughty girl and pushing buttons on the stereo. Of course he left out the part where he had shown her what buttons to push, which I suppose means he was just playing the standard part of 'big brother' and trying to drop his younger sister right in it.

Well I can't think of much else to say. It now seems highly likely that I'm driving to Manchester myself on the Friday of Bank holiday. Oops, I really, really really should have thought that through and taken a half day, but oh well no use crying over spilt milk etc. Hopefully there will be somewhere to stop and I won't get too lost on the way. Although I still have no idea what time we are supposed to get there for, although on Friday going straight after work it's likely to be somewhere around midnight for me :-)

anyway, I think I'll leave it there otherwise I think I'll start to bore myself.

later!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness, lol...that was really funny! Lil' kids these days are something, huh? I babysit since I'm not old enough to work and have to "concentrate on my studies" as my parents would say and I've got stories from those lovely times. Hey, at least you didn't get thrown up on! Consider the fact that having a nephew who taught his sister to push buttons to blow your eardrums out better than getting showered in gooey green mess! Oops...I should have warned you: Um, I hope its not too late- but I hope you're not eating right now. Well, anyway, great blog and stay blessed...thou blessed uncle with a nephew who is too clever for his own good.

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness, lol...that was really funny! Lil' kids these days are something, huh? I babysit since I'm not old enough to work and have to "concentrate on my studies" as my parents would say and I've got stories from those lovely times. Hey, at least you didn't get thrown up on! Consider the fact that having a nephew who taught his sister to push buttons to blow your eardrums out better than getting showered in gooey green mess! Oops...I should have warned you: Um, I hope its not too late- but I hope you're not eating right now. Well, anyway, great blog and stay blessed...thou blessed uncle with a nephew who is too clever for his own good.