Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Viewed from the other side of the lines

One of the downsides when I was made redundent from my last job was that the prices I had to pay for my hobby basically went up 50% which is a heck of a lot as I'm sure you'll agree. It was hard but it was another fact of life that I had to accept after leaving the company.

So I was dismayed to read today that their about to have another massive price increase for their sets and books. The price increase seems to be anywhere from 10 through to 20% with the average price increase of 13%. So that's 13% increase on top of the 50% increase I've had to take.

Now i'm sure if I was still there there would have been lengthy briefings to describe the thinking behind the new prices and I would have looked at the theory and agreed and wondered why people were complaining when it made sense

Well this is the first price rise I've seen from the "civilian" point of view in seven years and it's not a good thing at all. In fact I can see full well why people complaining (especially as many of the sets in question went up last year!)

I suppose it's a good lesson in humility.

I'm going to have to reduce what I do hobbywise from now on and even consider if I can keep doing it if the prices go up again next year as I'm near my limit now.

To put their prices in perspective some of the "tank" models after the price rise will now cost the same as our weekly food shop!

Well it's either that or find a new game to play. As Grumpy put it, it's not like I have to stay with it now.

Hmmm, gonna have to think this one over me thinks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if you eat more you won't feel as guilty about how much you spend and if you eat less you'll have more to spend. Whatever you do is win!

Saxon said...

there's a kind of a logic there which is had to argue with