Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not a phrase I thought I'd ever use

I've been working in the field of customer service for many years now and I know that I have not seen out and will likely never see it all. I've dealt with people who claim they bought stuff from stores which disappeared the next day, people who claimed that they didn't know the difference between dollars and pounds, people who don't know that laptops are not two metres long and people who can't understand why I don't know the precise size of their hand. I've had to deal with missing parcels, postal strikes and goo which has dried ( don't ask) but even I was slightly take back today when I actually had to use the phrase " Well it will be delayed due to the volcano" a phrase that I never thought I would ever use or even imagined ever having to use!

Yes for those of you who having been living under a rock or simply not looked at the news today the UK has been under a cloud (literally) from a volcanic erruption in Iceland which lead to the whole of UK airspace being shut down until at least 7am tomorrow morning. (correction it's apparently now 1pm tomorrow). Not that you could see anything from the ground mind you, it just looked like a standard run of the mill cloudly day.

Still it didn't have much effect on us until the end of the day which was nice. It does however mean it will probably all hit the fan tomorrow! Just what you want on a Friday.

The one really noticable effect was that with the airport shut it was strangely quiet in the background. It wasn't immediatly noticeable ( what with wearing a headset all day and all) but it was more of a niggling feeling that something was missing if that makes any sense.

When I got home Grumpy asked me if I thought Engineseer was superstious at all?I was slightly confused by his question then realised what he meant as Engineseer leaves for the MTC tomorrow and he is supposed to be flying there! So you could look at it in one of two ways, either it's not the best of starts or it will be a great way of making a entrance to the MTC declared in best suave James bond style voice
" Terribly sorry, I was delayed by the volcano"

Well one more day until the weekend and it's a dress down day as well. Some people do complain about having to pay to wear their own clothes as it were but I don't mind as the money goes to charity after all.

anyway,

Later Folks.

No comments: