Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Natural selection surely?

Don't get me wrong health and safety regulations are a good thing. Anything which reduces your chances of ending the day in a hospital bed rather then your own bed is a good thing in my book. However I don't think health and safety should be a replacement for sheer common sense!

A handyman who fell off a ladder whilst pruning a tree because he leaned it against the branch he was cutting off rather then the trunk sued his bosses and actually won. Not only that the Hotel where the man was working at was also fined as they hadn't done a risk assessment for employees working in the garden or given them training as to where to place the ladder when doing the pruning.

and no I'm not making this up.

I would have thought it was fairly obivous that if your leaning your ladder againist the part you are sawing off you about to get a very harsh lesson from gravity!

Still I suppose it's like Engineseer says you can design idiot proof systems but you can't do anything about system proof idiots.

Election update! Don't know, don't care and still bored. I already know how I'm voting listening to what are essentially sales pitches between now and May 6th will not change my mind.

The scientists from we've still got nothing better to be doing right now have just finished a study where they have found that women have a inbuilt fear of getting fat that doe not exist in men. Stay tuned for their next studies into if water is wet and if cold actually is cold.

anyway,

Later folks.

No comments: