Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memories

It's been a busy day. It really has, I'm not making that up. There was plenty of potential material for bloggage fodder but yet my mind couldn't help but be drawn back to the events on this day nine years ago.

It's a cliche when people say they always remember when they were when X historical event happened but it's a cliche because it is true. You do remember when something big happens, and I remember exactly where I was that day.

I was at home, during the holidays between my second and third year of uni. The place where Tapdance was working hadn't needed any sumemr workers this time and without being able to secure other summer work I was getting throughly bored waiting for the new university year to start even if I was going to be stuck in catered halls having to share a toilet ( as it would turn out it would be the best hall I stayed in but I digress as usual). I had been watching neighbours and was then waiting for Diagnosis Murder to come on, yes the show with Dick Van Dyke in and no I don't know how I got hooked on that show, when a news report suddenly came on the TV, it was on BBC one and I remembered watching like most people with a growing sense of disbelief. I remember I called TapDance at work to tell her what happened and I even went to wake Grumpy up to tell him because at the night he was working night shifts as a security guard. Although at first he didn't get up, he got up about ten minutes later and we spent the rest of the afternoon glued to the TV watching what was happening, knowing that things would never be the same again.

The strange thing is I can't tell you anything about the day before, the day after or even the morning of September 11th. But I remember that afternoon clear as a bell. and probably always will.

Later folks

No comments: