Thursday, August 30, 2007

YSA Conference Epilogue: Going down, down, back to geektown


After handing my key in it was back to the geekmobile to await my passengers. Well of course at this point I had no clue of who was going to be turning up as passengers as there had been some reorganization courtesy of Engineseer to help solve some transportantion problems. The way he put it was " all you need to do is turn up and drive, I'll handle the logistics". Soon enough after a bit of chasing round, Engineseer, Fraggle and Non splitter all turned up with their gear ready to go home. After a few goes I was able to fit all of stuff in the boot with only a small amount of stuff stuck inside the car. Including plenty of Pringles and Starbursts from Fraggle. Of course it couldn't be as geeky a car on the way back as there as we had a girl in the car!

We set off following Engineseers satnav and all seemed well. Well at least for the first few minutes, I started to get concerned when it started to direct us down a load of side streets and across a estate. Engineseer confirmed that he had programmed in the right destination for geektown. He then found he was taking us via the M1 which was not the way we wanted to go! After a quick turn around and quick reprogram we were off again. Alas I can reveal nought of what we spoke as the same rules applied in the car on the way back as on the way up. What is said in the car, stays in the car!

I suggested and the others agreed that we stop at a KFC on the way back as there had been no lunch for us. Fraggle fell asleep in the back though ( maybe too many Pringles ) and Non splitter soon followed him. Although she claimed she was just resting her eyes and checked out the back of her eyelids :-) We got to the KFC to discover there was no free cash machine. I usually avoid the cash machines where your charged like the plague as I don't see why you should pay to get your own money!! Unfortunately this time I didn't have any choice if I wanted to eat. We headed upstairs and ran into some other YSA who were on their way home. It was at this point I realized I was still wearing that stupid band. I had gotten so used to it wearing it all weekend I had forgotten it was there.

We soon got on the road again and made good time, asides from getting a bit lost around stoke ( that always happens to me round that town), it was the one time we hadn't got satnav going as we thought we wouldn't need it anymore. D'oohhh!!!

We had to make a small detour to drop non splitter off so she could get her car. Then it was back to being the geekmobile along with several rousing renditions of the tune to fraggle rock ( which I still can't get out of my head), genesis ( I can't dance which is probably more true for me then the other two) and some other songs that I can't remember right now.

But again all too soon we were home. We offloaded the car, Engineseer and Fraggle( fraggles complete with the last of the starbursts) loaded theirs ( they had left them on my drive all weekend) and they were off. I pulled into the drive and went into the house to discover Engineseer wasn't the only one in consistently repeating her performance from last year. Grumpy had left me all the washing up from over the whole weekend to do.

Oh well, C'est la vie.

No comments: