Monday, August 27, 2007

YSA Conference 2007 Day 2 Morning. I was wet, wet, wet, he was dry, dry, dry,


The room I had in poplar court was very nice and it was also very handy to be able to more or less roll out of bed and into the shower. The question I hear you all ask is, did I get up for the scripture study group? The short answer is no. But they again neither did the majoirty of people either.

So I headed out to get breakfast with Engineseer. Fortunately we knew where the dinner rooms were from last year, otherwise we might have been stuck ( becasue they didn't mention to people where they were. So I waited at the meeting point for Engineseer, and waited and waited and waited. I then gave him a ring and got.... no answer. Hmmm I started to get a real sense of deja vu!

Well as it was just me I decided to try out one of the other dinning rooms this year and as a was a 'veteran' I decided I thought I would try the more classy one. So I went here.



It was the usual fried breakfast. Only one of each thing, but you could get two pieces of toast and ceral and fruit so that seemed more then we got last year.

After heading back to my room for a little while it was time for the first official activity for the day.

It was the devotional in the armitage centre (which opened with a prayer and hymn), it was by Craig marshall and went on for a hour! Engineseer came in right near the end and as he put it " Didn't think he had seen a group of YSA looking so sleepy". It was a fairly good devotional even if the matching on the display screen of a picture of a baby and the atom bomb cloud over hiroshima seemed a little creepy.

There were a few bits of 'housekeeping' after the devotional. They had changed some events to new locations. First item was
" The grafiti art has changed to the pavillion opposite it's a knockout"
The almost symiltaneous reply from the whole congregation
" Where's it's a knockout?"
" It's next to that skanky brick building" Such a ladylike phrase.

he, he, he.

So off I yomped to my first workshop ( Fraggle, engineseer and I were all in the same group, the blues). and when I say yomped, I mean yomped. I don't know how but it seemed that every workshop I choose was at a opposite end of the campus from the last one. As it was skills first for the blues I had signed up to the massage class again as it was quite fun last year and theres few better ways of breaking the ice chatting to a girl then having her putting her hands over you, he, he ,he ,he. Well that was the plan anyway, unfortuantely I chose the wrong seat to sit in and the teacher chose me to be her 'demonstration model'. Probably the only time you will ever hear me say the phrase " I was a model" . The plus side to be picked was that I got a head massage in exactly the correct way, the downside was that everyone was looking at me! and I really had to fight the urge to go to sleep! I liked the class and unsurprisingly did most of the guys. What can I say male YSA are easy to please. However a lot of girls didn't like it that much. This might be something to do with the fact that the girls gave the guys head massages, where as the guys gave the girls hand massages which did onvolve the use of oil!

Then it was time for it's a knockout! After a quick stop by my room to get changed I headed down to the sports fields. To find engineseer watching the proceedings with a huge grin on his face. I think the first thing he said was
" Your going to get wet"
Hmm okay not the best of starts. But hey I was there and I was going to give it a go. Unlike some people. I gave my camera to engineseer and he did took some of the photos here.


Which as you may notice contain some very good 'action shots' in fact if you look at the one where the guy has just thrown a bucket of water. The dim figure you can see in the path of the water is me! Engineseer was not wrong about me getting wet! The people doing the " It's a knockout" were a professional company so they had all sorts of interesting inflatables things. Especially this 'bungie run"


After recovering my gear from engineseer I started to head back to my room to change. I was htroughly soaked and I was probably the last person anyone wanted to see in a wet t-shirt! Lunch was being served at the armitage so I thought I would stop and pick a bag up on my way through. As the it's a knockout had run over a lot of the other ysa had got there first which lead to a problem becoming apparent.

Last year there were three choices for lunch in three different sets of trays which made finding your lunch very easy. This time there wasn't. Although there were a lot more choice, Crayfish and rocket to name one! All of the bags were mixed up and sealed with a large sticker. So the first YSA through the queue had basically demolished the bags in a effort to find sandwiches they liked. I was lucky however and managed to find a fairly intact bag with a chicken sandwich in. However realising I was still dripping water everywhere I departed to my room post haste to change!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im sure poplar was girls accomodation last year....hmm...

Its a knock out looks ace!! he he

Saxon said...

well it was boys and girls this year. Two halls were boys, two were girls, same in willow court.

It's a knockout was ace!