Wednesday, August 29, 2007

YSA Conference day 3 morning: My powers of telepathy continue to grow

There are some nice ways to be woken up from a sound sleep such as by birds singing, sunlight streaming in through the window, breakfast in bed. Then there are some ways that are not so nice to be woken up, like having cold water thrown on you, a cold breeze or some cretin slamming a door very, very hard! Guess which one happened to me Sunday morning. Yes of course, the last one and this guy didn't slam his door once, oh no no no. He slammed it several times obviousily subscribing to the idea that if you can't get the door to lock slamming it as hard as possible will help. The conversation I heard through my door between this guy and his mate was as follows

" Do you have to slam it so hard ?"
" Yes" SLAM
" I don't think it's working"
SLAM
" Still not working and your going to start waking people up"
SLAM SLAM " So what, they should be good and up for scripture study anyway"
SLAM!

at which point I was all set to jump up, open the door and get into a real shouting match with this guy. However after the final slam there was silence. So I don't know what happened. It could have been that he figured out how to close the door, he got inspiration that continuing to slam that door would be detrimental to his health or my powers of telepathy continue to grow. You decide!

I met up with Engineseer for Breakfast. He got up, yayyyy!!!!! The girls however failed to appear and after waiting for 15 minutes we decided to make our own way there and hope they'd catch up. I had put my trousers on a nice t-shirt as I didn't want to risk wearing my suit and trying to eat a fried breakfast with toast and Marmite. It would just be asking for trouble! I did start to get a little worried that I was underdressed at the amount of people about in their sunday best for breakfast. I soon felt more at ease though when several girls turned up in sweatshirts and pyjamas bottoms!

After a quick breakie I rushed back to my room to get changed into my suit. Heading back across campus to the main hall I ran into Fraggle who was on his way to breakfast. I was a touch concerned that he would be late as there was only ten minutes until the start of priesthood. but he assured me there would be no problem. He was right too. Maybe thats one of his strength to balance out his weakness for starbursts. Eat breakfast quickly power!

I met up with Engineseer and we grabbed some seats. Fraggle headed off to the fron to wave his arms about :-) No he hadn't gone mad or started conducting, he was doing sign language for some people, signing the lessons and talks etc. The person who was conducting the meeting stood up and announced elder Johnson was taking the lesson. I immediately looked at Engineseer and asked if the guy meant the same Eldar Johnson as last year. Engineseer nodded. to quote Doctor Sam Beckett " Oh boy”( and before anybody asks I was making a big effort all weekend to turn the geekyness down all the way and was remarkably successful most of the time)



However and this is a really big however. He was complete different from last year, he seemed really happy and joking and it was a really good lesson. Also Engineseer and I can go to the EQ President and Bishop if needs be and insist on a hometeaching list right now. When they ask who says we can say “ Eldar Johnson” , he, he. The lesson wasn’t even delayed that much by Cordeilas and Engineseers favourite person from leeds (ask them) making attempts to hijack the lesson the whole time.



So after the lesson finished we trotted over to the armitage centre where Elder Johnson was taking the main conference session. Unlike last year it was treated like a proper conference session, i.e no sacrament I guess they decided it was going to be a logistical nightmare. Again the session was very good, Elder Johnson seemed very happy and in a good mood. A distinct change to last years talk.



But the first two talks seemed to run a little short so Elder Johnson bought the YSA conducting to the stand and asked him about what a section in D&C referring to that mornings priesthood lesson. Que laughs from the boys and blank looks from the girls. He then called President Mcreynolds up and I started to wonder where this was going. He then asked if he had any YSA from his stake there at which point I started to get really nervous when he next mentioned the word testimony! He then asked if he had a YSA sister who he thought could bear their testimony, at which point me and Engineseer let out a huge breath of relief. He then said he thought sister P could bear her testimony, at which point MA and Non-splitter let out a sigh of relief at the same time all the P sisters tensed. President McReynolds find came out and said Sister C P ( apparently that was the first name that popped into his head as he knew at least some of the P sisters were there then remembered seeing CP on his way in. Lesson for you there folks, avoid your stake president before going into a conference session. CP Then went up to the stand and proceeded to deeply, deeply thank President McReynolds for the opportunity to bear her testimony ( if she said that bit through clenched teeth I wouldn’t have been surprised in the slightest.

After that it was time for lunch. All in all it had been a very good morning

No comments: