Wednesday, July 04, 2007

If only there wasn't a Atlantic ocean this might be easy to solve.


I was reading Nemesis's blog. If you haven't read her latest post " I weep for the future of the world" now go on, go read it. The link to her blog is on the right in the links section. Go on, go. I wouldn't be saying anything funny for a little while.


Here's some music while we wait for those who've gone to come back.
" Dum, di, di dum, dum, dum, di, di, di, di di-dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum"


All back? Good. Right where was I? Oh yes, I was reading Nemesis's blog and mainly laughing my head off ( that girl is very funny) when it got me to thinking( yes, yes dangerous past time I know). What did I learn in young men's?


Well based on what I can remember not a whole lot. But hey that might just be my memory for you. Sometimes it's near photographic when it comes to the most useless or geeky of information, but ask me where I've just put my keys or if I just locked the door and sometimes I can't remember. Well two incidents stand out. The first is the duty to God awards that used to be run in our stake for the young men. ( I think it's the equivalent to whatever that scheme is in young women's the name of which currently escapes me) Anyway if you completed a year you got this god statue/award thingies. If you completed four years you got a special award, certificate and your mum got a pin badge to wear. I had completed three years when they switched to a new program. Argghhhhhh!!!! The second is when one day all of the Young women in the branch I was in walked into the Young men's and declared they had voted and decided that they had decided only one of the young men(smooth) was worthy enough to become a husband to any of them. The rest of us didn't and we should accept that we weren't going to get married. Not a thing that people who were insecure about themselves would want to hear is it? There were charming young ladies in our branch at that point weren't there?


In Nemesis's blog there seems to be a worry that a lot of the girls there weren't pretty enough. That's rubbish, if there's one consistent thing about church girls where ever you go, it's that their all pretty and smart. Somebody left a comment on her blog which quoted the old saying "Looks open the door, personality keeps it open." This is all too true. And never more demonstrated then at Uni. There were some girls who were very pretty, but when you started to talk to them you released there was very little upstairs. One example is a girl who was nicknamed " Hills and Valleys". She was a stereotypical blonde, very pretty, but unfortunately very little in the way of common sense or personality. She actually had to be freed by security from a fridge ( yes you read that right) after she got her head stuck in between it's shelves, when she stuck her head in there and tried to close the door in a effort to see if the fridge light really did go out when the door is shut. Church girls do have real personalities and the looks to match.


I would be lying if I said looks don't play a small factor with me sometimes. But I do value personality much more. ( and I hope there are girls out there who do as well otherwise I got problems :-)I learnt this at uni, it got very very boring talking to girls who had zero upstairs no matter how nice she looked.


Talking of Uni has reminded me of a story that proves that guys outside of the church sometimes really, really don't appreciate what they've got. There was girl during my final year of uni who most people called Kitty ( see don't have to think of codename for this one :-), she was pretty, extremely intelligent, very friendly, basically as perfect as a girl outside of the church could be. If you asked most guys they were aware of who she was. When she arrived she was engaged, she and her fiancé had both decided to come to the same uni and if I remember correctly were planning to get married as soon as they finished their course. After a few weeks he decided to drop a bombshell. Slightly Para phrasing here as I can't remember the exact words he used, but he said he wanted to make the most of his time at uni, so he wanted to call off the engagement and break up with her for the duration of their degrees so he could and I quote ( this were his words not mine before anyone has a go at me) " Sow his wild oats". Once their degree had finished he said that could get back together and the engagement would be on. And before you ask, no I'm not making this up. The guy really, really was that stupid. Most guys when they heard this story seemed to triple check at the very least before they would believe it. However as you can imagine the news of this spread round the campus like wildfire and all of the girls got to hear about it. Suffice to say this guy didn't get to sow anything for the rest of his degree. And no she never got back with him.


All this talk has remind me of the one comment that I have heard in YSA that annoyed me the most. One girl stated ' It's much harder for girls to get married then guys , that's why we're going out to the states. Guys can get married *clicks fingers* just like that if they want to'... Well at least part of this sentence is true an increasing number of girls are heading out to the states. However with regards to guys being able to get married really easily, did I miss a Sunday school lesson or Young men's lesson or something where that secret is shared? Was I supposed to have a interview with the Bishop. " Welcome to young men's, allow me to share the secret of getting married when ever you want to with you" Did I choose the wrong Sunday to be absent? So it seems we have a load of single guys over here and a load of single girls over there. Hmmm, If only there wasn't an Atlantic ocean this might be easy to solve.


I couldn't help but laugh at another comment left on Nemesis's blog in regards to the latest post ( is this cheating basing a huge blog post based on her blog post?) where there was a scandal about women wearing backpacks/bags with straps that cross their chest, because they accentuate their boobs. All I have to say is what? What? What? What? If they think that was bad they should try seeing some of the outfits that girls wear in the UK on nights out ( as I'm sure Engineseer can attest too). If any girl at BYU wore something like that, there would probably be a few people dropping dead from shock! It did remind me of one of the US exchange students at Uni. She stayed all year rather then one semester, and when the new students arrived she was going to go on a night out with them. She came in to the common room with a outfit and was really worried one the American girls would think of her. We told her not to worry as although she have may though it was revealing, compared to the usual outfits the UK girls wear, she was wearing the equivalent of one of those huge 18th century dresses!


Well I think I'll leave it there for now as this blog post seems about ready to reach critical mass.


Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i have to say it.. that was a long post and sorry.. i didnt make it to the end today lol... lack of concentration :)

BUT i do like tat quote you put on there:

"Looks open the door, personality keeps it open."

I agree that there does have to be some physical attraction, but as long as thats not all that there is then you are ok. Personality counts the most but you need to be able to look at the person ;p

that will be all for now

Saxon said...

didn't make it to the end?? I'm shocked and stuned, and a bit more stuned and shocked, etc, etc, etc :-)

" Personality counts the most"
yep thats what I'm counting on or I'm in trouble :-)