Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A geeky odyssey

Well all I can wonder right now is how things would have gone if there had been any flooding round here. and what am I referring to I hear some of you ask? Well the trip home from work last night which on a "clear run" takes 25 minutes turned into a mammoth 1 Hour 20 minutes odyssey! Apparently there was a accident on a motorway junction which caused the traffic to back up all the way into Nottingham which is at least 4 or 5 miles!

By the time I was able to reach a point where I could get off the main road and take a shortcut across country, low and behold I run into the tailback from another accident, which means I had to take a left turn instead of the right for the shortcut and ended up going on a magical mystery tour of the Nottingham countryside while I tried to figure out where I was ! I have to admit that I finally got back to geektown more through luck then judgment! But on the plus side I did see a lot of the countryside I’ve never seen before. For example I did discover that there is a lorry depot and gypsum plant that I never knew existed. Not very interesting I know but it just goes to show how you can live in a area for a long time and still not be aware of stuff.

The air con was still broken at work today but fortunately they finally managed to fix it by late afternoon. In a effort to ward off the soaring temperatures of yesterday they turned off two thirds of the lights. Which meant we were sitting in a semi darkness for most of the day. These efforts were successful and it wasn't as hot as yesterday. But it was still very hot!! It was probably one of the only times that would could say that at the height of (supposedly) summer we had to go outside to cool off rather then the other way around :-)

Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Random country detours are the best! Mine yesterday was longer than planned but i now know another route to where im going next week.. yay! Also discovered a country park... Borrough Hill... went a walking there today.. ahh was ace! Beautiful weather! Very windy up top but was lovely.. lots of fresh air.. any ways i digress... country detours.. "2 thumbs way way up"! (name the film)

It nice to see the countryside instead of busy roads full of cars.. and yes you do learn where things are hidden away.. found the Nesbit Bros coaches today :)

Saxon said...

Nesbit coaches?? Who are they? never heard of them.

I've got no idea about the quote either. So which film was it?