Thursday, June 09, 2011

A day in the working life




  • 6.30am : get woken up more then half a hour before I needed to by the dawn chorus of birds who have decided their favourite perch is directly above my room



  • 6.32am: Contemplate wringing the necks of said birds



  • 6.45am: Give up on trying to get back to sleep



  • 7.00am: alarm goes off. I hit the snooze button for some strange reason



  • 7.05am: Alarm goes off again. I turn it off this time



  • 7.10am: Finally manage to get up ( or roll out of to be more precise) from the bed



  • 7.20am: Time for breakfast



  • 7.50am: Leave for work ten minutes early to beat the traffic around the download festival



  • 8.10am: Arrive at work ten minutes early as there was no traffic for the download festival.



  • 8.11am: Start to curse all of the youngsters going to download for their late get up times



  • 8.17am: Still cursing



  • 8.20am: Bus arrives



  • 8.25am: Bus arrives at work



  • 8.40am: Do first check of the day on my email and facebook ( using my mobile of course). It's the quickest and easiest way to keep up with gossip...... errh I mean information that other people might find interesting or useful ( must remember people at church don't gossip).

  • 9.00 am: Work begins



  • 10am: get drawn again my better judgement into a conversation about the recently banned film " Human centipide 2"



  • 10.04am: Manage to completely amaze/baffle rest of time by almost reciting the film boards reason for the ban from memory once again displaying my ability to have almost photographic recall for useless bits of information



  • 10.05am: Try to remember where I left my Pen



  • 10.20am: R calls Dee a muppet



  • 10.21am: L starts to hum the muppet theme song to herself



  • 10.22am: The muppet tune promptly gets stuck in my head where it likes the view so much it decides to set up camp there for the rest of the day.



  • 10.45am: First break, I decide to check facebook again and find the ysa are especially busy today...... oh I didn't now that.

  • 11am: Back to work



  • 11.01am: L is still humming the muppets tune. Either I'm going insane or it's actually starting to sound quite groovy



  • 11.05am: Wonder where " groovy" came from.



  • 11.06am: Thoughts start to wander.



  • 11.07am: thoughts come back after discovering it's a scary world outside of my head



  • 13.00: Time for lunch and the daily challenge of eating pasta whilst wearing a white shirt.



  • 13.30pm: Back to work



  • 14.30pm: L leaves for the day but I still can't evict the muppets theme tune from my head



  • 14.40pm: KayKay a member of my team who is actually a church member but has been inactive for oh 20 odd years joking asks what would happen if she went to church to announce she's not married and expecting a baby.



  • 14.41pm: I honestly answer it could well depend on the ward she goes too.



  • 14.42pm: S butts in and asks what would happen if KayKay went in and announced the baby was mine. Would people be surprised I'd fathered a child?



  • 14.43pm: I respond not as surprised as me



  • 15.15pm: Last break. I refuse to listen to the siren song of the vending machines packed full of choclately goodness as the afternoon is turning intoa bit of a downer.



  • 15.16pm: contemple the fact that my steadfastness is probably helped by the fact the machines are at the other end of the building and I can't be bothered to walk all that way if I did want something.



  • 15.30pm: Back to work, into the home stretch now which depending on luck can be the best or worst time of the day.



  • 15.55pm: Try not to giggle as D has to explain to someone that a signature for a parcel was not by a foreign person called Mr Ill e gible ( think that one through :-)


  • 16.00pm: First round of people knock off for the day. Sometimes I do miss the early starts


  • 16.01pm: Realise that I don't really


  • 16.20pm: I contemplate the fact that as the system we use has a acronym that is also a well known girls name that many visitors to the office must wonder who this girl is and why we talk about her a lot and moan sometimes she is not working as she should


  • 16.21pm: Mention this to D


  • 16.22pm: D thinks I may need to get out more


  • 16.23pm: Or less. He hasn't decided :-)


  • 16.35pm: One of the girls wonders why there's so many people with the name sello signing for stuff in spain. She asks if sello is the spanish version of smith


  • 16.37pm: Somebody nicely points out to the girl Sello actually means stamp. It's not a name


  • 16.38pm: Said girl shrugs and gets back on with her day.


  • 17.00pm: My usual knocking off time but I'm doing overtime tonight. The office gets even quieter as the next round of people go home.


  • 17.10pm: I manage to worry LP as she notices I'm talking to her and still typing at the same time without looking at the screen. Ahh, the joys of touchtyping.


  • 18.00pm: my actual finishtime for the day.


  • 18.05pm: get on the minbus ready to go home knowing tomorrow that the whole things starts again


  • 18.06pm: The muppet tune starts again in my head. ahhhh.....................

No comments: