Wednesday, June 20, 2007

They should really think these things through first

If there's anything more annoying in this world then a 'bandwagon' which everyone will decide to go and jump on I have yet to find it. A little while ago it was about the packaging and labeling on food. People were complaining that it didn't clearly state how much fat, sugar, calories etc were in a product. So off everybody went jumping on the bandwagon and all UK food packaging now has it clearly spelt out what's in the food. Which might be nice for some people, but others of us don't like that. It's a simple process if something tastes very very good, like chocolate or fast food we know it's not going to be containing lots of healthy ingredients or be low in calories. We know, we don't want to actually see the information in front of us. That takes the fun out of it!

Anyway the latest bandwagon to come along is about banning smoking in public places. There's been a advert on the TV listing the places people can no longer smoke, and every time they name a place they go 'to that location' in the advert. You know sort of s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g i-t o-u-t f-o-r u-s, just in case we have no idea what a cafe or office is, but I digress. Apparently this law states something along the lines of you can't smoke in a enclosed public space. Which is good. But it has lead to some unintentional hilarity at work. The company putting in a smoking shed for people who smoke, to go and smoke in. Apparently it proved to be very helpful in the winter. So as it's the smoking shed only smokers go in. ( see I've obviously been affected by the advert, now I'm spelling things out). However as it's a enclosed public space, under the new rules smokers wouldn't be able to smoke in there. Even though the only people at risk of second hand smoke would be other smokers. See obviously breathing your own smoke is fine, breathing somebody else's is a big no no. So in order to get round this new law the front of the shed has had to be taken off. No big problem summer, but it might cause a few in winter.

There's a bit of a hoo hah going on about a certain well known soap at the moment. Apparently there has been nearly 200 complaints about a scene which saw one pregnant character tied to a bed while the wife of the man who got the women tied to the bed pregnant threatened to perform a caesarian section on her 'by force' to take the baby from her. Most people complained that there had been no warning before the start of the programme. Now apparently the official response was " the episode reached a climax that most viewers would have been anticipating."
Now I hadn't been watching this program but what I want to know is what kind of storyline was it if they believe most viewers would have anticipated a pregnant character being tied to a bed and the spurned wife stealing the baby by performing a caesarian! and why didn't anyone complain about the storyline before!!

Apparently the ESA are looking for volunteers for a simulated human trip to Mars, in which they'll spend 17 months in a isolation tank. Maybe we can update that ideas for Big brother. We put all of the contestants from big brother into a isolation tank, which has no cameras. Lock it, then really send the tank to Mars. Sounds good to me and we'd all be winners. They'd get some fame as they go in the tank, and we don't have to put up with big brother dominating the airwaves all summer, and a load of contestants who'll be famous for five minutes but by the time the next series comes round we'll only remember them as 'thingie who won last time."

Health and safety killjoys have struck again. Apparently the egg information service(whoever they are) wanted to screen a advert featuring Tony Hancock from the 1950s which urged viewers to 'go to work on a Egg' to celebrate their fifty birthday. They've been told by an an advertising watchdog that they can't. The watchdog said the slogan did not suggest and went against the principle of eating a varied diet.
So apparently urging people to eat eggs is bad. Urging them to eat cereal or things like pop tarts is fine. All I can say is what????

A new Lord of the rings musical has opened in London. Apparently the contents of all three books has been crammed into one three hour production. and apparently it is very bad. I don't think I'll be going to see that one. But then again I haven't been to see a musical or a play in years. I think the last one I went to see was " the tempest".

anyway. It's the penultimate( think I spelt that right) institute lesson tonight. Hopefully we'll have a few more people then usual as we have been a bit thin on the ground lately.

oh yes, in reference to previous posts. The issue I think I may have created is solved, I think. But to be honest I don't understand if it is solved or not but at least it mathces the start of the issue which I don't understand either.

I did manage to keep my cool and not speak a load of gibberish with all the important people who came on Tuesday. Even better I was able to get one of them to sign a book for mechanicus which I sent off to him in the mail this morning. So barring it falling into one of those portable black holes that royal mail use for sorting depots from time, he should recieve it tomorrow. Maybe he could let me know by leaving a comment, HINT, HINT! Mechanicus.

Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huzzah
Huzzah
Huzzah

I received a most pleasing package in ye (pron. the) post, including "Fulgrim" with a personal inscription by the author stating that it was the "perfect book".

Aye. Well, we'll see.
I didn't take it to read while my children were having the swimming lesson, I want time to savor it.

Top man, Chris!, thanks!

Saxon said...

I hope you like the other books too