Monday, December 10, 2007

Their just full of disturbing talk tonight

Well I was just going to leave it there. But that website is overflowing with topics tonight. The next to catch my eagle eye

" Pity the Single person"
(I'm sure Nemsis will love this one)
A girl starts the thread who despite her name is obivousily feeling so merry
"Why do people feel the prerequisite to happiness is marriage?"
hmm, anyone going to answer that one. Wait it's this site.. of course they are.
A guys response
"in the mormon community, we are taught that from birth"
hmm there must be some strange lessons in Nursery.
After some various talk about why bishops and other members will give all single people that 'poor you look' whilst wondering why they ain't married and whats wrong with that person. The starter of the thread asks what fit for marriage actually means.
Cue our old friend Clever clogs from Utah
"Fit for marriage to me means that you have 1 or more of the following:
1.) Are steadily employed with an income sufficient for two.
yes sir, wouldn't want the little women leaving the house now would we.
2.) Are sound of mind.
have you met other church members?
3.) As a member of the church you are strong in your faith.
Well duh. This is a obivous one
4.) Have little or no debt
well that leaves anyone whose every been to uni out.
5.) Finished all prerequisite schooling for your chosen profession.
again, this is obivous it's not rocket science!
6.) Own a home or have the finances to do so.
have you seen house prices lately?
7.) Appear to have a strong understanding of financial practices.
keep credit cards away from wife ;-)
8.) Know how to perform CPR on not just an adult but to an infant/child as well.
is this a question in a interview the bishop gives you before you marry or something?
I think 1, 2, 5 and 7 are required (to recap)
1.) Are steadily employed with an income sufficient for two.
2.) Are sound of mind.
I'm not crazy the voices in my head told me so.
5.) Finished all prerequisite schooling for your chosen profession.
again this isn't rocket science. You need to know how to do the job before you can do it. Winging it is always a bad idea.
7.) Appear to have a strong understanding of financial practices.
before you're married, everything else is just extra bonus. "
Scarily the discussion about these points goes on for a freaking page and a half!
Including some comments that you should be happy being single as thats the only way you'll be happy when your married. In that case I might be in trouble :-(
So the thread seems to be following a be happy that your single kind of thread. Then this girl pops up;
"but what if you belong to a church where every Sunday members ask you when are you getting married? Making you feel like being single means you are doing nothing worthwhile with your life in building the kingdom?"
Guys response
"Take back your feelings from them and don't let them have power over you anymore ;) "
I've only taken the first sentence of his post as the rest of it is as full of new age cliches as the first sentence.
Cue traveller guy
" hate to say this but you need to go up to the podium in testimony or a talk and say, hey, I am out there looking, don't bug me about it!
pictures Nemesis doing this, he, he, he,
:)Sugarcoat it of course but you need to do it.
When it happens, it happens, til then, I am human
I didn't realise people say single as non human!
and you need to respect me for that......."
Cue a smattering of posts about how this happens in my ward, doesn't happen, can't believe that happens, of course it doesn't happen, r u sure your just not really sensitive, etc.
Traveller guy returns
"Same thing with being single. They are making our being single a part of their business which it isn't.
true
The marrieds are gossiping about the singles in the ward and why are they single.
tsk, tsk. Theres no such thing as gossiping in the church. It's simply people passing information that they might find interesting to each other.
What if we set them up with so and so.
that would probably make things much easier if couples were doing that.
Gee, I wonder what is wrong with them that they are still single at 32.
only six years before I reach that point, argghhhh.......
Get a life people!
oh theres so many jokes there. "
at which point even I began to zone out as they got into a heated dicussion about whose business it was that who was single.
am I tiring of this site.... or is the fact that ysa talk like this depressing even me?
later!

6 comments:

Nemesis said...

"hate to say this but you need to go up to the podium in testimony or a talk and say, hey, I am out there looking, don't bug me about it!"

Wow. I will never, ever do that. And I'm pretty sure I will never check out that website for myself. Just the bits that you've posted make my head hurt. :-)

Saxon said...

"And I'm pretty sure I will never check out that website for myself. "

too late I'm afriad, your actually a member of the site.

Anonymous said...

Hey chris, you should talk to Jo Anderson, I think she is feeling the same way at the moment.

I wouldnt worry about it. nothing wrong with being single. Better to wait for the right girl rather than get hitched to the first one you meet and then spend a lifetime regretting it.

Saxon said...

hmmm, your seeming very wise all of a sudden d rat. Don't say age is catching up with you and your all mature now. oh no :-) what hope is there for the rest of us :-)

Anonymous said...

ahh, it takes a tough man to bake a tender chicken. Thats what I always say. (maybe not so wize after all!)

Saxon said...

I don't know, it does sound very yoda(ish) and get much cooler then Yoda you can not.