Friday, October 30, 2009

Times they be a changing

Every so often no matter how planned your life, something will change. No matter how much you may want it to or not. Sometimes a couple of things may change and other times a lot of things will change.


That's what October has been like. Changing or game changing or even life changing to use a cliche. But then again that's what cliches are there for, to be used. That's how they became cliches to begin with.


Sorry just realised I'm rambling.


Well for those of you who don't know or haven't yet figured it out and are wondering why my blog posts have been sporadic this month, well at the end of September I was called into a meeting and given the news that a lot of people in lots of different companies have been recieving recently. My postion was being made redundent.


Flash forward a month to this morning and in a formal meeting that was depressing short my time with the company I have spent almost seven years offficially came to a end and I handed back my security pass.

This geek was out of a job.

However not for long. I have a temporary postion with another company which should last at least until Christmas and once I start there and have my foot in the door who knows? I'll still keep looking for something more long term but right now I'm not going to turn down a job temporary or otherwise as I prefer that to being on jobseekers. Really if theres a more soul destroying place then the job centre I hope never to see it.

It's sad to leave as I can truly put my hand on my heart and say there's not another company like it. Plus the discount and free books weren't bad either. I'm also going to have to get used to having a grown up job as I'm going to have to wear a shirt and tie when I go to work now.

I'm being optomistic however. As a lot of people have pointed out this could prove to be a great oppotunity to advance and develop myself as I search for new employment. Or as one of my friends at work put it, " Today you'll leaving behind one group of colleagues but on Monday you'll have the excitment of making new ones".

It's weird to think that life in my department will continue. Books will still be published, websites will be updated and my colleagues will still come to work and sit at their desks and life will continue despite the empty desk at the foot of the row.

Life will continue and I wish them all well. Somebody asked me if I was mad or upset at whats happened but I'm not. It was just one of those things. If they feel there's insufficent work for me to be there that's just how the dice have landed this time. Getting mad or angry would solve nothing.

I survived cuts many times before and I did a lot better then most of the people who started at the same time as me. They have long since left and moved onto other things.

I enjoyed my time at the company immensly but that's come to a end and as one of my uni friends was told me in a note she wrote in a book for me " never look back and grieve at what has gone and ceased to be. Look forward to the future as who knows what tomorrow will bring."

Well rather then tomorrow in this case I suppose it would be better to say, who knows what Monday will bring? To use another cliche as today marks the end of one chapter, Monday will mark the start of another.

Thank you for bearing with me over this past trying month. I've had a lot of messages of support and if I haven't got back to you to thank you please rest assured they all helped. Normal service should now resume.

The geek is certainly back and he's still grumbling.

See ya later folks.

No comments: