Friday, October 12, 2007

Kids today. Got no culture

We recently, well last Friday to be exact had a Friday Forum in Leicester. Not that I'm being biased in anyway as it was run by Engineseer but it was one of the more memorable and good Friday forums I've been to in a while. Bro H goal was that we get forty people from Leicester to attend. Unfortunately we didn't make that goal as out of five stakes there was only thirty people full stop (apparently there was a dance on in Northampton). Refreshments were good even if somehow they ended up serving soup in paper bowls. After the activity I was talking with midwife and Aspiring Angel. We were gathered around Engineseers laptop as it was the source of the music. The girls were looking through Engineseers list of songs with great interest and surprise to be honest at some of his songs. I mentioned that there was Fraggle rock on there somewhere. Angel was delighted at that prospect but midwife just looked blank and asked
" Fraggle what?" At which point myself and Angel burst into a rendition of Fraggle rock, which did nothing to enlighten midwife any further. In fact she looked even more confused and worried that both Angel and I had finally lost completely. " Fraggle what?" Kids today. No culture whatsoever :-)

Institute was as fun as ever, if only for some very memorable Lines. As we waited for Bro H to arrive we were talking about having to put tables up. Cordelia piped up " Ah, putting tables up, that takes me back to my student days" in a tone that you more expected to hear come from a resident of a rest home not a YSA class. At which point I replied " Hmm, that would be all of two months ago?" " umm yes" She replied in that soft tone of hers when she realises she's just said something silly.

We then noticed that for a lesson on dating standard somehow the class ration of boys to girls was somewhat skewed. In fact it was three to one. I pointed this out to Engineseer and we were both a bit worried. Boys outnumbering girls at YSA. that never happens! Well both Cordelia and Midwife said they didn't mind. In fact midwife stated " This is great, it's like reverse polygamy" . which set me and Engineseer off into a fit of giggles.

Engineseer opened the class mentioning the fact it was midwifes birthday on Sunday, at which point she announce that she would be twenty and had been 'left on the shelf'. I couldn't help but laugh at that comment, if only for the thought of what Nemesis's reaction would have been to a 19 year old (at that point at least) claiming she had been left on the shelf.

Well the lesson was as depressing as I had feared it would be. We were spilt into two groups, guys and girls and had to come up with a list of attributes we looking for in a 'partner'. Of course everything they listed off I felt applied to me ( this isn't a lack of modesty on my part or being big headed) which was depressing and of course right near the top of the list " Must be RM". which made me even more depressed. in fact when I mentioned this at home grumpy asked " So does that mean you never going to get married? You should leave the church then you can get married" This prompted a very uneasy silence between us for the rest of the night as I wasn't sure if he was joking or not and I didn't want to get dragged into one of 'those conversations. and I think he was worried he had really upset me and didn't want get to get drawn into a argument either. Both of us seem to have settled on a " Discretion is the better part of valour" train of thought and haven't mentioned it since. In face that lesson made so depressed I actually got a strict ( well for him) telling off from Engineseer for being too pessimistic. Which considering how pessimistic I really am I must have really been down in the dumps.

that reminds me I have changed my signature on the forums at work to
"I'm a optimistic Pessimist. I'm absolutely sure that the worst is about to happen. "

Well myabe I'll get to see the mysterious 3rd new YSA on Sunday. Reality or myth. does she really exist? Stay tuned!

Later!

3 comments:

Nemesis said...

what Nemesis's reaction would have been to a 19 year old (at that point at least) claiming she had been left on the shelf.

If I know and like the 19 yr old, I will roll my eyes in a kindly way. If I don't know or like her, I will blog about her.

Saxon said...

I would have expected a raised eyebrow at least :-)

Insight said...

Hahahahaha, one of your funnier posts.

Apart from the sad ending. You really must work on those. I bit more happily ever after I think...

Anyhow, the rest of what I want to say can wait until I see you next. Not, it isn't bad.