Friday, April 20, 2007

It's been a funny old week

Well I suppose the title says it all really. I've kept trying to blog several times and each time I've kept drawing a blank. Maybe what's been going on during this week has made it harder then usual to be funny. Who knows?

For those of you who could understand my blog post on Tuesday we were round at Engineseers to celebrate Travellers birthday. Although she was late getting there. ( must avoid female and lateness jokes must ressisssstttttt). non splitter and Bosslady both announced their engagements. Although Bosslady insisted she wasn't technically as she doesn't have a ring yet. So that's another one lost to the USA then! It was a very fun evening. It was also the last time Engineseer's brother( hence forth referred to as Mr. popular) (don't believe me, just see his IM friends list) would see most of the YSA as he went on Thursday. Or at least I'm assuming he went on Thursday as that's when he was supposed to and I haven't heard anything different!

I was thinking ( yes, yes dangerous I know) that come September there is a extremely good chance that Loughborough YSA will go from one of the strongest in the stake to one of the weakest! non-splitter is getting married in September, Bosslady is planning to go across to the states in June, Smooth is already in the US, AF is already off on his mission and it's likely GW will be following soon after. JW is getting married in August and JF will probably be getting married soon as well and Enginesser if not on his mission by then will probably be in Belgium. See what I mean we're loosing people left, right and centre!! But after considering this it gave me a slightly troubling thought. Unless we have some more guys come to Loughborough Uni in September there's a very good chance I will be the only guy ( okay, okay before you wonder that's not the troubling thought, I'm getting to that) I will be one if not the eldest YSA, and the other eldest female YSA social! This is worrying, the younger YSA might start to think I know stuff and might start asking advice and who knows where that will end!!

Okay, joking asides now. I wasn't going to mention it but I now am. The Virginia tech shooting have been the main news item all this week. A lot has been said about it by many people older and wiser then I am and already the finger pointed and blame giving is in full swing. It makes me remember my ATC days and when we went shooting. If though we were only shooting at paper targets, I could never forget the I suppose for want of a better term the power of what we were shooting, the responsibilty we had when we picked the rifles up ( we were shooting for all intends and purposes assault rifles ) the sound of the shot and the dirt which would be raised into the air once the round has gone through the target and hit the bank behind. How anybody could go after another unarmed, defenseless human being and pull that trigger 32 times is beyond me.

that's all for now,

later!

No comments: